• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

app security

Zenze

Apr 17, 2010
So I had a question about the security of apps on the market. I read the sticky about it which was very helpful but have a question about a particular app. In my hunt for a good alarm clock app I found "alarm clock plus" which I downloaded and think its a great app but I'm kind of worried about some of the permissions it uses. They are:

Your Location, coarse (network based) location
Network communication, full internet access
Phone calls, read phone state and identity
System tools, modify global system settings, prevent phone from sleeping

Is there anything here that seems sketchy? I thought it might need location for some sort of weather functionality, but it doesnt have anything like that. And I dont know why it would need full internet access either.

Maybe I am being to paranoid about the whole app security thing, what do you guys think?

So I asked the dev about it and long story short he said that it is a requirement of the ads that are in the app. Also many apps use this same advertisement SDK which need certain permissions which can be viewed here in step 3 of the SDK integration: Android - Admob For Developers.

So that would really explain why there are so many seemingly legit and non malicious apps that require permissions that you would not expect.

Upvote 0
Yeah,
Location and Net access is getting ever more common, precisely because of adverts. I guess it's the price to pay for free apps, right?

Phone calls - you certainly don't want to be "woken up" when you have the phone already at your ear!

if anyone knows why even the most mundane of apps need to access my texts, phonebook, email etc, I'd love to know.
That's different from the original poster's question - that would be listed as "access to your personal info" or something like that, and should certainly be taken seriously, especially if that app also requests net access for no apparent reason. However, due to the ads, that's hard to know for sure. :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones