• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[app suggestion] Best video chat app

they all have their advantages and disadvantages. I've tested many of them and found that Skype is probably the best all-around app. ooVoo is another app that is pretty good and probably a close 2nd, IMO, but I had some compatibility issues with my friend's phones. They've updated it a lot since I last tested it, so it may not be an issue anymore.

There are more (like Tango) but those would probably be my top 2 choices.

The main problem with all these video chat apps, is that it kills battery if you leave it running (as expected). I know Skype has been releasing updates to remedy this but it still runs the battery down pretty good. I turn it off until I want to use it, to save on battery.

Reactions: mlb
Upvote 0
I thought that GTalk had added video chat features before, but i guess i was wrong. It's been a while since i've tried using Skype, and i figured the LTEvo would have whatever the latest/greatest video chat application would be. Any recommendations? My wife is on a 3vo, should i just install Skype and be done or is there another comparable app that works just as well?

Upvote 0
moved to app section so others can chime in with their opinions.

some good ones are:

Tango
Yahoo
gtalk

i use skpe personally (even on the xoom) and it works very well.

I'm unable to get gTalk to give a video option, on my LTEvo as well as my wife's 3vo. I believe i had tried using a modified apk of gTalk on the original Evo, but that was quite some time ago. Do i need to search the webz for a modified gTalk with video chat feature, or am i missing something?

Upvote 0
Hi, mlb! This one is my personal favorite, Qik is an awesome app when it comes to live video calls. It has a clean user interface, signing up for Qik is absolutely free. And the best part; you can make live video calls to iOS counterparts as well. It supports live video calls over a 3G, 4G or WiFi network. Video quality is superb and supports up to VGA resolutions which is in my opinion great for a mobile device.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones