• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apple Innovation

Imagine a doctor wearing google glasses. Everything he sees can be seen by his colleagues in real time. If there is a problem, they know it and inform him. He deals with new information without losing use of his hands.

Just one use of many for the Google glasses, a true innovation compared to what apple has been up to since Steve died. Again, apple is running scared and has to stop its competition by litigating not innovating. Shame. Lame and pathetic...

Upvote 0
Found this
iphone.jpg

Too wide, you gotta keep it the same width as they have current! :D haha

Upvote 0
looks like the PC wars all over again...

apple market will get smaller and smaller... niche market

How do you figure?

Apple sells vast numbers of phones and if history is any guide, the iPhone 5 will sell well. And, if Apple can crack the Chinese market, they will likely sell even more phones. Some stock wonks report that the Chinese market could be far bigger than the US market, as far as Apple/iPhones are concerned.

China as it is now, is far bigger than the United states market.

Time will tell and we still do not know how many Android/BB users will jump ship when iOS 6 arrives. The iPhone can be bought for less than $200.00 and that might attract people to the dark side.

Perhaps the millions of people that do not have a smartphone will choose Apple because it can be had from Virgin Mobile and Cricket. Lots of people cannot get a smartphone because their credit is in the dumpster.

The new OS might be amazing or ho-hum. I'll wait and see.

Then there are the iPads. The new iPads will increase Apple's bottom line; not to mention, whatever else Apple releases that we have never thought of. All Apple needs is a new idea and Apple is good at coming up with new ideas.

Not sure Apple is close to being thought of as a niche market.

By the way, Apple's sales of notebooks/laptops in the past three months were greater than Windows laptops/notebooks. If you believe the stock wonks. And iPhone sales alone, accounted for more revenue than EVERYTHING Microsoft sells.

Again, do not relegate Apple to nice market status just yet.

Upvote 0
All Apple needs is a new idea and Apple is good at coming up with new ideas.

tell me.. what new idea (innovation) has apple come up with in the last 10yrs??

their smartphone market is shrinking every year.
with release like the 4S and 5..
that market does not look like it will be growing.

what they are good at is... marketing.. and stealing ideas

Upvote 0
their smartphone market is shrinking every year.
with release like the 4S and 5..
that market does not look like it will be growing.
I don't believe that is true.

Market *share* is a different thing, but even then you can play games of which markets, what time periods. And do you measure numbers of devices or net profits?

Right now Apple are the most valuable/profitable company out there. It used to be Microsoft, and in future it will be someone else. But even with products as widely derided as Vista, IE and the Office"ribbon" it took many years of stagnation for MS to slide (and people tend to not talk about how big a player they still are). So I'm not expecting anything to change quickly. TBH I'm more interested to see whether HTC can turn around than in what Apple's smartphone share does in the next year.

Upvote 0
For example: making sure everyone gets timely updates, control over carrier bloatware, etc.
Trouble is, that's the model Google have chosen - they let the manufacturer customise it, and the manufacturer lets the network add their trash. Manufacturers see their changes as a way of differentiating their products, so while Goo said that skins would not be needed, Samsung, HTC, Sony et al ignored them. And network junk is the price the manufacturers (not Google) pay to get their phones adopted rather than someone else's.

So if you want timely updates, buy a Nexus (or root and do it yourself). There's a reason I don't buy phones through networks, but not everyone is in a position to do that.

If people want an example of Apple innovation, telling the networks "if you want our phone it will be with our software" was probably their best :) But which manufacturer is strong enough to copy it? Google have shown that they aren't able to enforce that.

Upvote 0
Time to share a story.

About 3 weeks ago an acquaintence from my gym 'John', guessing around 55-60, came up to me saying BB had iPhones on sale $0 for all carriers and I gotta get one right away. I very courteously declined without giving a reason.

John walked away saying 'I have no respect for anyone that doesn't respect Apple's innovations.'

The important things to note here is that:
1. I never talk about Android/Apple in general population and rarely bring my phone in the gym.
2. I have known John a while and he is not tech-savy.

This is what too many Apple fanbois bring to the table.

Upvote 0
Apple is really more about polishing the end user experience than actual innovation. That is something Android still needs to focus on since they've proven they can deliver on the specs and features. For example: making sure everyone gets timely updates, control over carrier bloatware, etc.

Have to agree with these points. Jellybean is on very few devices, and people want updates on a timely basis. I know Google is trying to clean this issue up but this is Android's biggest weakness right now, and the one that the Fanbois always point to as why Iphones are so "superior". Yeah you can always root your device, but you really shouldn't have do to that to get the latest update.

Also manufactueres and carriers do need to cool it with the bloatware, or at least make it possible to uninstall it. Some device makers and carriers have started to do this but it needs to happen across the board.

Upvote 0
I am betting that some of the technology BB and Android manufacturers add to their phones is licensed from others. Just a guess. If you look closely at the various Apple EULA and TOS, you will see Apple licenses this and that.

No reason to think Samsung or Mot does not do the same thing. I'll take that as a yes until proven otherwise.

Just a guess, mind you.

They probably do. But they don't turn around and say "look what we invented"

Upvote 0
I would not take the SD slot seriously. Some want it but how many? I suppose Apple decided it is not needed. Who knows, I do not.

I notice that Google, Amazon and Apple all forgoe the SD slot and I have to believe it is for control. They all want you exclusively on their respective markets.

Yes there are ways around it but things can be a hassle.

SD cards are great for quick media dumps. If you want to watch movies you already own, nothing beats an SD card change.

Upvote 0
Sd cards are slowly on their way out everywhere. I assume in the next 5-7 years they won't be on any phones. Google wants everyone to use the cloud, as does apple. I personally like my sd card as I would rather have everything stored locally so I don't have to use MY data to access MY files.

I still have a fondness for floppy disks. My old 5 inchers died off and then came smaller disks. Now we have flash drives and SD cards. I do not think they will go away, but I do think they want us in the clouds. Not sure I like that.

Upvote 0
I make my home my cloud, but the data networks are not up to it yet.

I have google music and that works well as it caches the music. I also have PowerAmp, over VPN using my CIFS mounted NAS. It plays music fine, so long as there is a data network signal...

I am slowly adopting the cloud. In many cases, I am not allowed to store files in the clouds, but this is due to various agreements and such. The hardware can handle it and it seems everywhere I go, WiFi is afailable, so access is seldom an issue.

I will likely sell my iPad and purchase an iPad 2. I am happy that the apps and other crap I bought will be easily recovered. Just a simple DL from Apple.

It is interesting that some cloud providers talk about freeing up your HDD by keeping files in the clouds, yet those files also exist on your HDD. Dropbox is a good example of this. I can see it because you might not have net access when you need it the most, so local file storage is always a good idea.

That said, I have had my laptop for a few years and I still have a largely empty HDD. Last time I looked, I had hundreds of gigabytes available and on a laptop that only stores perhaps 100 music files and twenty Word Documents and the only apps installed is Office, I feel confident that I will never need to store files in the cloud.

I do agree with those that think we are essentially being forced into the clouds; the lack of a SD slot suggests that manufacturers believe that we no longer need to store our essential stuff locally. We are being "forced" to use the clouds and I suspect things will progress to a point where one day, everything is in the clouds.

We are being assimilated, slowly and surely.

One thing about Dropbox I find interesting is when you add plugins, use certain addons and web services designed for DB, there is allot one can do that goes beyond simple cloud storage. I find that interesting and highly useful and a good reason for services like Dropbox to exist.

Upvote 0

So did you pick it apart point by point and look to see how accurate the video is? I think you should have because I see a few problems. It is on YT so it is either wrong or inaccurate or one sided or perhaps even true to some degree.

You should also check out the video poster. He definitely has an ax to grind and I'll not say against who, but he can make a fortune selling apple wood for smoking fish.

And he is wearing a Google shirt, if that means something.

He also say things like "and here is another thing I believe is a lie . . . I do not know if I believe Apple . . .I highly believe this is the truth . . ." He says "I believe there are others (cells) that are thinner..."

Everything he calls a lie he cannot prove is a lie. He just offers guesses and opinions. This is not proof the keynote is filled with lies; it is just out there to paint Apple a liar.

He did say that Apple should have used a Micro USB connector because it is standard rather than the new connector many are hating. So let me ask, can Apple use a Micro USB connector? Is it possible? Not sure how many pins Apple's iDevices require? If so, I'll thank the person offering a technical description because I do not know.

EDIT: I took a look and there seems to be 30 pins on the iPad connector and 5 pins on the MicroUSB. So can the MUSB connector be used with iDevices? I do not think they could/can.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones