• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Application compaitibility

sivaganesh

Lurker
Apr 13, 2012
We are look for making tablets for students. I have compared both ARM and Intel based tablet. Also most opt for ARM based. I have specific question in mind.

If we write an apps (or software in case if we use Linux based OS) , will it differ from Intel and ARM processors ? Is it necessary to write processor specific softwares ?

We are look for making tablets for students. I have compared both ARM and Intel based tablet. Also most opt for ARM based. I have specific question in mind.

If we write an apps (or software in case if we use Linux based OS) , will it differ from Intel and ARM processors ? Is it necessary to write processor specific softwares ?
I'm not the one with the answers you need, but I see it's your first post here. Welcome!

Do you speak other language besides English that you are more comfortable with?

Upvote 0
Yup. But other members can not understand it. I'm from India. :)
I asked because it seemed like you were struggling a little bit with English. I know that we have members here who live all over the world, so I thought if you said for example, "I speak Hindi natively" that another native Hindi speaker might be able to step up and help if any language barrier came up.

Talking about software development is hard enough for me in my native language! ;)

so it isn't a problem?

I remembered "Bill gates saying, it was nearly impossible to switch processor which Apple did from IBM PowerPC processor to Intel". That's the reason I asked !
Bill Gates has been wrong about many things. For example, Gates once said that no personal computer would ever have any need for more than 640KiB of RAM, which was the most available on the original IBM PC.

FYI the Apple Macintosh has gone through four different CPU types: first the Motorola 680x0 line, then the Apple-IBM-Motorola PowerPC (an inexpensive variant of IBM's POWER line), then the Intel IA-32 line and finally the AMD64 ISA (albeit on Intel chips). Each of these were big steps.

I believe that at least one development environment for Android is platform agnostic, and the rest can be easily ported between platforms. But the people in the Application Development section will be a better authority.

Good luck!

Reactions: sivaganesh
Upvote 0
I've been writing software for a while now, going back to COBOL, PL/1, Fortran days and more recently C/C++ and Java. I'fe only just started planning a couple of Android Apps, but, from experience of Java development (Which Android programming is at heart), Eclipse IDE is the only game in towen. It integrates perfcectly with Java and the Android SDK/Emulators. Very Slick development environment.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones