• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Appropriate Save Directory for Developers

Arosrheoc

Lurker
Nov 25, 2015
I recently installed the Python Interpreter with Kivy, and I can't help but notice that any progress I would save goes into folders I don't really want to start storing files in. Is there a folder that I can safely create a home for anything I edit/create with the Python app?

My Device is:

Samsung Galaxy Note 5

I'm guessing our non-developers probably haven't ever used Python on an Android device (I have not, either).

I'll go-ahead and move your thread to our Application Development area for you in hopes you'll find a few Python-knowledgeable folks in there.

Cheers!
I appreciate you moving it to the right section. I wasn't able to determine if it was the right one or not, and I didn't immediately see any thread titles "Developer". Perhaps I should have been more thorough in my searching. Any help is greatly appreciated as I'm new but serious about my new endeavor.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
At the risk of spamming, bump yet again.
edit:
If I could determine a solution or safe practice for myself or through google search I already would have.
The reason for my query is to determine what the best practice is for saving and retrieving work done on a mobile device.
In the last 4 days I've experimented with small scripts I've learned to write but haven't saved to any of the directories on my device.
If I save in the wrong directory I risk corruption (I think, hence my OP)
Anyone willing to share their experience?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There are, of course, Java API calls that will tell you the proper / available external storage locations, but I can't tell you what the Python equivalent of those are.

There is the default "$HOME" location for that each app has which is it's /data/data/<packagename> folder (usually in a files subfolder in there). If you can establish how to determine that for/in that app then you should be able to use that area. This is where an app can store it's preferences / settings, for example.

Have a peek at the Android documentation and try to convert the Java-based API calls/references to whatever would be the Python equivalent.

Cheers!

Upvote 0
At the risk of spamming, bump yet again.
edit:
If I could determine a solution or safe practice for myself or through google search I already would have.
The reason for my query is to determine what the best practice is for saving and retrieving work done on a mobile device.
I'm executing basic scripts but not saving my work.
If I save in the wrong directory I risk corruption (I think, hence my OP)
There are, of course, Java API calls that will tell you the proper / available external storage locations, but I can't tell you what the Python equivalent of those are.

There is the default "$HOME" location for that each app has which is it's /data/data/<packagename> folder (usually in a files subfolder in there). If you can establish how to determine that for/in that app then you should be able to use that area. This is where an app can store it's preferences / settings, for example.

Have a peek at the Android documentation and try to convert the Java-based API calls/references to whatever would be the Python equivalent.

Cheers!

I think I'm just going to try to create a new folder myself by adding one in after I plug it in to a desktop.. I'm not new to programming and one sure way to ruin things is to run/save things in the wrong directory.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones