• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps dissappear and take the space with them

I have been having an issue for ages now, have done everything I can think to fix it. Nothing has worked and I wonder if anyone can give me some advice on a work around.

First up: HTC Desire V2.2

The issue is simple, occasionally apps will crash. Just now, the facebook app crashed, saying Katana.Facebook.com had stopped working. When I went to my applications sure enough the Facebook app was replaced with Katana.Facebook.com.

What I think is happening is that the some registery is becoming corrupted and forgetting the fact that these apps exist, but this is only the start of the problem. It gets much worse.

This error will flash up again and again until I reboot and when the phone restarts the internal space on the phone that was once allocated to the app is still being used by something, but the app is still not working. It has simply gone leaving a hole in my memory where it used to be. This wouldn't be an issue if I could use the SD card more effectively for storing apps, but with the pityful memory on the Desire I surf very close to the 15MB minimum limit that allows your phone to work properly.

I've tried to reformat the card, reinstall the app from Market and then delete it, cleared the cache and nothing. The space is being hogged. The only fix I've found has been to do factory resets and then spend hours resetting my phone. It's a real pain, espically since I only did the last reset last week and did another one 2 weeks before that.

Does anyone know what's going on and how I can fix it?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones