• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps slowly losing their proper names and turning into their Java ones?

Archon810

Oct 16, 2009
beerpla.net
I've had 4-5 apps so far do this to me, and every once in a while another app does the same - instead of displaying its proper name, like ChompSMS or wpToGo, the name would switch to the Java version, such as com.p1.chompsms or com.roundhill.androidWP.wpAndroid.

The name change occurs globally - in the app list, widget names, even the displayed name when I start the app. The only place where the names stay OK is the Market.

These changes don't happen after an update - just randomly but once they happen, they stay.

Some other apps include VoiceCallerID and Mystique Chapter 1.

WTF is going on with my phone?

I have the same problem, had to reinstall the two apps that did it.

This, the fact that it runs fine until all of the sudden, after having done nothing, it suddenly gets all jerky.

That and the fact that on the HTC calendar app shows my "tomorrow" events a day early (i.e. on thursday it says my saturday plans are coming up "tomorrow".).

Aside from these EXTREMELY questionable behaviors, I really do love this phone.

Upvote 0
This is a weird issue and a little annoying. Android has a long way to go. The name change doesn't bother me too much, but seriously, these issues need to be fixed ASAP because it doesn't help Android's already rough UI.

I doubt this is an Android problem. I am net seeing the same complaints from owners of other Android phones which would make this a Sprint or HTC issue. The UI is whatever you want it to be. There are plenty of "home replacement" apps on the app store and you can pretty much make the phone behave however you want with them. The base Android UI isn't rough IMO but that's just me. Sprint and/or HTC need to get off their ass and update the stock messaging app before they worry about the cosmetics of apps losing their names. Not having an update for that already after two weeks is starting to be an issue for me.

Upvote 0
I am having the same problem, after uninstall and resinstall the app keeps its name but only for a couple days - then I end up with the com.xxx name again. It's random and not even happening to apps from the same group of developers. For example, I have a bunch of the toddler apps from 5 pumpkins and only a couple of those have changed names. I just recently searched the forum messages and can't seem to find a solution. Anyone out there know anything to stop this?

Sprint Hero

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones