• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps using the internal mem vs SD card?

chvp

Lurker
Feb 27, 2011
Hi all

I have HTC desire and a problem with Apps using the internal memory rather than the SD card.
I get a notification that only a few Mb are free on the device, but I can see several GB free on the SD card.
This results in Apps failing to be installed from Market, even though I have free mem on the SD card.....

Do anybody know how to make Apps use the SD card when installing rather than the internal mem?
Could it be an issue with the SD Card? - i can store video captures and photos without any problems and some apps do use the SD card.

BR
chvp

Hi chvp,

An easy solution is to download an app from the Market that will identify apps that can be moved to the memory card and list them for you.
I use 'App 2 SD' which is also free.

As you lack some internal memory currently, you'll be pleased to hear it can be done manually without a new app required.
Navigate your way to...
Settings > Applications > Manage applications.
The first tab highlighted should be the 'Downloaded' tab. Select an app and if it can be moved from the internal memory to the SD card the button "Move to SD card" will be available for selection.

Be aware though that not all apps can be moved to the SD card, such as Maps, Gmail, Shazam.
It's a little slow at first, but an app such as the one above I highlighted will make future movements easier!

Upvote 0
Seriously, you need to root your Desire. It's a great device, only crippled by the internal memory issue. I was reluctant to root, and tried the "Apps2SD" method first which helped things, but pretty soon I had the same problems. However after rooting, things have improved dramatically and my Desire has a new lease of life. Plenty of memory left, and loads of apps installed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones