• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Are there any free or paid radio apps that do not require wifi?

For example slacker has a free and paid version. And the paid version is wifi free. But the problem with that one is you have to pay each month to use it. I am looking for radios that are like pandora or one that has a bunch of online radio stations like slacker radio, and tunein radio.

pandora is free, can work over mobile data instead of wifi.. it just wants a network connection.. doesn't care what it is.

I cannot get any network connection unless I am connect to a network. The Player does not have a mobile network. And I want to use it when I am on the go. My player cannot connect to the internet or get email when I am on the go either.

Upvote 0
sideman.. I use pandora over my mobile data connection through my carrier all the time.. wifi is not needed. Now if he has no data plan, or his data radio (gprs or edge) is shut off, thats different... it's also not what he asked. He asked if any don't require wifi.

What Brosko, and drted, said. I think I did read what he wrote and replied appropriately.

Upvote 0
If you have no WiFi access, then an app will not work...they all need a network connection. The SGPs all have a built in radio. All you need to do is plug in a headphone...it acts as an antenna...and you can pick up radio broadcasts in the area (FM only).
My Samsung Player 4.0 FM radio does not work unless I am connected to wifi. Am I overlooking something? The only way I know to use the radio is press the FM Radio app. It says device must have wifi active and connected for the radio to work. I don't get it. I must have an antenna (earbuds plugged in) and wifi to get a "radio" to work?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones