• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Are there any ported keyboards for stock 2.2 yet?

Ecks

Jun 17, 2010
I searched around on xda and this forum today without much luck. 2.2 ported keyboards all seem to require root, which I do not have.

Anyone have info or a link for a ported keyboard like the DX multi touch? That's what I was using prior to the update.

thanks

Dunno about keyboards ported from other phones.....but HTC_IME High Res Keyboard Skinner works for Froyo [Links below]. I had to use v26-FroyoHighRes but it works just fine. You just go to the website, create an account (real simple), and it allows you to create your OWN custom skin and buttons...including transparency and your own Background pics. All via the website wizard.

Below is how my keyboard looks as an example. It changes background depending if I portrait or landscape (1st one is Portrait, 2nd pic is landscape). The actual keyboard letters are NOT that large...that was just how the preview from the site worked out.

Portrait

Landscape

I applied some color filters to the pictures so that keyboard letters are still readable. It is a shame you cannot control Transparency % on the button shapes (Either full Transparent or Opaque). Still a wonderful tool.

Create your own!
http://www.gimpsta.com/themer/main.php

Note: if people really want my skinned one above, I can post it. Just ask.

Reactions: rcrott1
Upvote 0
Stupifier, can you post yours on here? it looks amazing.! and thanks for the tip on the site.

No problem. Below are two links to two different keyboard versions...one for 2.1 and one for 2.2 (froyo). You must select the one that matches your phone's OS.

Install instructions:
1. Open zip with Astro File Manager
2. Install
3. Go to Menu-Settings-Language & Keyboard. Be sure HTC_IME Mod is checked. GO ahead and fiddle with settings to your liking.
4. Be sure to LONG press on a text field and tell your phone you want to use the HTC_IME Mod keyboard.

2.1 Keyboard:
Deposit Files

2.2 (Froyo) Keyboard:
Deposit Files

Enjoy....and if anyone ends up creating cool Keyboards....maybe we can post them in a thread somewhere. There are a lot of possibilities with this skin creator.

Note:
Just to be clear, I take no credit for the physical creation of this skin. I only cropped and edited a couple images to fit spec on the sites online skin wizard. Full credit should go to gIMpSTa from XDA forums for the creation of such a cool skin creation wizard.

Upvote 0
Reactions: rcrott1
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones