• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Are you a Verizon customer with unlimited data? Get ready to be throttled.

It's a whole lot of nothing, and I have one of the grandfathered unlimited plans. Read the rules carefully and objectievely. You need to have been previously flagged as a high user (4.7GB+) and be using a congested cell (read tower). If you use 100GB a month but are on towers with plenty of bandwidth to spare, no throttling. Also, there isn't an arbitrary "we will cut you down to 1mbps" or whatever, they will only slow you enough to be able to deliver the speeds they guaranteed to tiered users. There is a good chance that if you have been throttled (are are in the future) you may not even notice it.

Upvote 0
Looks like Verizon has finally pulled out the sword to stabeth at the hearts of loyal customers of many years, (8yrs) myself and several thousand later for equipment and services.

Short of a long story they are going to start throttling speed for it's unlimited data plan owners this October, wtf good is unlimited data if you have to wait forever for a download?

That is the final straw for me. Time to play the field I guess.

Verizon to slow down speeds for some unlimited data subscribers: Thomson Reuters Business News - MSN Money

This even after they posted record profits for the last 6 quarters!!!! Greedy bastards!!

Upvote 0
all carriers throttle you if you use any 'unlimited' data plan and use 2GBs per day. then you're stuck with dial-up speeds (56-120Kbps) the rest of the cycle. 2GBs per day limit means no Netflix, or online gaming if your cellular hotspot is your only source for internet, as it is for many who live out in rural areas.

Not sure where you got this information, but it isn't even close to being true regarding T-Mobile if you're on their $80 unlimited plan.

Upvote 0
you sure? because most of the 'truely unlimited data' for any carrier have tiny fine print at the bottom of their ads, saying '4G speeds gauranteed to 2GB' or somesuch. they might not technically 'throttle' you but you will be dropped to much-slower 3G or EDGE rates. there is really no such thing as unlimited data with gauranteed 4G LTE rates. not unless you have a capped data plan with tons of data allowance.

Also, you're a bit incorrect either way. according to this link, there is a mention that after 5GB you get dropped to slower speeds on T-Mobile

http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-4/268550-does-tmobile-throttle-unlimited-data.html

With my Verizon data being the only internet connection available to me where i choose to live, and the amount of video streaming and large downloads i make, i would rather have 20GB of 4G LTE rates than a mere 5GB with dial-up rates slowly following that.

Upvote 0
you sure? because most of the 'truely unlimited data' for any carrier have tiny fine print at the bottom of their ads, saying '4G speeds gauranteed to 2GB' or somesuch. they might not technically 'throttle' you but you will be dropped to much-slower 3G or EDGE rates. there is really no such thing as unlimited data with gauranteed 4G LTE rates. not unless you have a capped data plan with tons of data allowance.

Also, you're a bit incorrect either way. according to this link, there is a mention that after 5GB you get dropped to slower speeds on T-Mobile

Does TMobile Throttle Unlimited Data? - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

With my Verizon data being the only internet connection available to me where i choose to live, and the amount of video streaming and large downloads i make, i would rather have 20GB of 4G LTE rates than a mere 5GB with dial-up rates slowly following that.

That thread you linked to is about the $30 plan which does throttle after 5GB. Their $70 plan also throttles after 5GB. I was saying the $80 plan doesn't throttle, though there is a tethering limit.

Edit: Merged similar threads

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
According to Verizon, here are the criteria that have to be met in order for 3G, and soon 4G, data speeds to be throttled:

Top 5% of data users (you use 4.7GB of data per month or more)
Enrolled on an unlimited data plan or feature
Have fulfilled their minimum contract term
Are attempting to use data on a cell site that is experiencing high demand

I'm not too worried about this ATM. I'm usually in the 2-3GB range per month and don't live in a high density area so 2 of the 4 criteria I will never or very rarely experience.

The fact that only 5% of UDP users are over 4.7GB tells me this will not be noticed by many anyway.

Upvote 0
Tom Wheeler, FCC Chairman is asking questions...

"I am deeply troubled by your July 25, 2014 announcement that Verizon Wireless intends to slow down some customers' data speeds on your 4G LTE network starting in October 20 14.1 Your website explained that this was an extension of your "Network Optimization" policy, which, according to your website, applies only to customers with unlimited data plans. Specifically, Verizon Wireless "manages data connection speeds for a small subset of customers - the top 5% of data users on unlimited data plans" in places and at times when the network is experiencing high demand.2 Verizon Wireless describes its "Network Optimization" as "network management."

"Reasonable network management" concerns the technical management of your network; it is not a loophole designed to enhance your revenue streams. It is disturbing to me that Verizon Wireless would base its "network management" on distinctions among its customers' data plans, rather than on network architecture or technology. The Commission has defined a network management practice to be reasonable "if it is appropriate and tailored to achieving a legitimate network management purpose, taking into account the particular network architecture and technology of the broadband Internet access service."4 Such legitimate network management purposes could include: ensuring network security and integrity, including by addressing traffic that is harmful to the network; addressing traffic that is unwanted by end users (including by premise operators), such as by providing services or capabilities consistent with an end user's choices regarding parental controls or security capabilities; and reducing or mitigating the effects of congestion on the network.5 I know of no past Commission statement that would treat as
"reasonable network management" a decision to slow traffic to a user who has paid, after all, for "unlimited" service.

Accordingly, please provide me with responses to the following questions:

1. What is your rationale for treating customers differently based on the type of data plan to which they subscribe, rather than network architecture or technological factors? In particular, please explain your statement that, "If you're on an unlimited data plan and are concerned that you are in the top 5% of data users, you can switch to a usage-based data plan as customers on usage-based plans are not impacted."

2. Why is Verizon Wireless extending speed reductions from its 3G network to its much more efficient 4G LTE network?

3. How does Verizon Wireless justify this policy consistent with its continuing obligations under the 700 MHz C Block open platform rules, under which Verizon Wireless may not deny, limit, or restrict the ability of end users to download and utilize applications of their choosing on the C Block networks; how can this conduct be justified under the Commission 's 2010 Open Internet rules, including the transparency rule that remains in effect?"

Could be interesting.

FWIW
DLM

Attachments

• vzw-letter-07_30_14.pdf
    884.9 KB · Views: 95
Upvote 0
It seems FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler does not like Verizon's answers about throttling. According to today's Washington Post:

"'All the kids do it' is something that never worked with me when I was growing up, and it didn't work for my kids," said Wheeler.

'A Verizon spokesman didn't immediately reply to a request for comment.'

This could be interesting so get your popcorn ready for the show!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones