At breaking point with my phone :/

Last Updated:

1. HER0

HER0 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Not quite sure what the heck is up with my phone, but it has seriously become unusable when I try and make a text message, to the point where I feel like giving it up and selling it.

Note that I haven't deleted or installed anything in a few days so nothing has changed.

Using Chompsms which is usually fine, suddenly it's slow as hell, then force closes 1 minute later. Eventually I got so p*ssed off with Chomp that I uninstall it and go back to the native Message app, and surprise surprise, slow as anything then force closing. Everything else is starting to lag stupidly as well so I am not sure what's up.

Is the Hero going to get slower and slower with more and more Android updates? How will it run with 2.1? Is the laggyness the Hero or the OS? It seems it's got the point now where I only reply to a text message if I really have to, as I know it will involve me getting wound up with the lag. (Me typing then 5 seconds later a bunch of nonsense appearing)

Don't get me wrong I love the whole Android thing but what's the point of it's "future potential" if the phone I'm using now can't make a good example of it.

BTW guys, don't be worried about dropping your Hero's as mine has undergone a little testing involving throws to the ground, as well as side, front and rear impacts to the corner of a table, and it's all good :D

Advertisement
  2. Hoos

Hoos Well-Known Member

Have you tried resetting it to factory?

What else is running? Periodically, some apps randomly just start on mine (Slacker, Sprint Nav, Footprints) and it slows everything down. Shutting those down always helps.

3. HER0

Haven't yet, don't want to and I feel like I shouldn't have to - but I will if needs a must.

Forgot to say, using Taskiller. So I literally go....Phone On > Taskiller (kills all the crap that doesn't need to be running) > Messages (then it bugs out)

4. themonkster

themonkster Well-Known Member

How many texts have you got stored ?

5. HER0

9050 from one contact, 450 from another contact, 360 from another contact, atleast 5 other contacts with 100-ish. I understand that is a cause but what I don't understand is yesterday it was fine (laggy but usuable), now I can't actually send a message as it force closes.

May have to do a reset :(

6. jan2lid

jan2lid Well-Known Member

Chomp has cause me major problems today (did an update yesterday). So many force closes. So much so I have downloaded Hancent to see if is any better.

7. Jaffa

Jaffa Well-Known Member

Handcent pwns chomp

8. HER0

Last time I used Handcent it was so slow, and it sounds stupid but it didn't look nice and clean - all the whites looked a dirty colour and it just didn't seem as well presented as Chomp :-S

9. andy d

andy d Well-Known Member

I can guarantee you storing all those texts will defiantly slow the phone down you need to get rid of them or store them on your PC using SMS Backup free from the market.

10. Danny159

Danny159 Well-Known Member

Mine is the same....

New message.... Click open, Waiting...................................

about 2 minuets later it comes up, I wright a reply.... Nothing comes up...... then it all comes up and once, click send..... wait.............

Its like 5 minuets per text, I have been so close to chucking it across the room!

I have 3500 from one person!

11. Danny159

The only problem with this is the phone takes 2 days to delete 2 text messages!

12. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Try an app from the market called Delete Old Messages. I've heard other people say it works well in this kinda situation.

13. HER0

I was going to say, if you long touch the conversation I want to delete, select delete, it actually does nothing. Will try that app, thanks.

edit. I mean I will try that App when the keyboard decides it wants to register what I am pressing, I am typing and it's making the noise, but nothings coming up. I get this quite often too.

14. Danny159

Likewise... I hope in 2.1 it will be fixed and we will be able to live a normal phone life haha

15. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Make sure you aren't killing any background important services with taskiller, thats usually the root of all problems people face! That many sms might also be a problem.

16. brykins

brykins Well-Known Member

There are two apps called "SMS Backup" (Google should not allow this) so any tips as to which is the better one?

17. brykins

brykins Well-Known Member

Ignore me - read the comments and the one by "Allove Passion" seems to be in Chinese.

18. HER0

Doing the Old Messages Delete app now, it is seriously slow. Like 1 text every 10 seconds and it had 8500 to get through.

19. thetingster

thetingster Well-Known Member

this is precisely why I don't leave 5 billion texts on my phone.

20. Danny159

I also did it last night, and it was complete when I woke up, the phone seems to be faster and the text messageing app seems to run a lot faster =P

Haha some people like to keep their texts its like their life =P

21. bluenova

bluenova OK Computer VIP Member

SMS Backup stores all your texts in Gmail in the same way that chats are stored so you can delete your texts off your phone but still keep them in a handly readable format.

22. andy d

andy d Well-Known Member

LOL no wonder the phone is slow.

23. JimR123

JimR123 Well-Known Member

I love the way people post threads that look like "my hero is rubbish", when in fact they are being a bit of a numpty. Over 10000 texts on a phone. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

I intend to post a thread entitled "rubbish Hero won't withstand being crushed by my car tyre. Gonna get a refund".

24. Jaffa

Jaffa Well-Known Member

qftt

25. peloquin

peloquin Active Member

Hehe, quality, yeah lets blame HTC