• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

AT&T Embracing Android

I really hope it's not the lancaster, I want a 5.0mp with flash, no slide out keyboard htc like the eris or the nexus one with 3g for At&t, that dell looks like a freaking brick, and the motorola I am sure will be the back flip, please prove me wrong and release a sweet android phone, but I am so sure At&t will fail miserably at this.

Upvote 0
the first one is the Dell Mini 3, which isn't very appealing at all, nothing excites me about that phone

hate the way the lancaster looks, and i sure hope the motorola isn't the back flip one

i don't have much faith in AT&T to deliver a great droid phone, so i may have to just buy the Milestone once it hits Telus Canada carrier

Upvote 0
im willing to bet these are 4 of the 5 android devices:
1) dell mini 3
2) htc lancaster
3) htc hero
4) motorola backflip
5) ?

if im right, then ill pass, all devices are already outdated, most even before their release...we'll see what version of android they release these phones with as well.

Upvote 0
im willing to bet these are 4 of the 5 android devices:
1) dell mini 3
2) htc lancaster
3) htc hero
4) motorola backflip
5) ?

if im right, then ill pass, all devices are already outdated, most even before their release...we'll see what version of android they release these phones with as well.

yeah, i am not interested in any of those; aren't they supposed to get the Sony Xperia X10?

like i said, i will try to get the unlocked Milestone once it hits Telus sometimes in February, hopefully

Upvote 0
apparently rogers in canada is getting the xperia x10 before it hits the US and its not supposed to hit rogers until Q2 of this year..so if it ever hits a carrier in the US it wont be for some time, and i have a feeling that phone will be $750+ unlocked (based on having similar hardware specs to the htc hd2 which sells for about $760 unlocked)...telus milestone is prob your best bet unless you intend on waiting a while, unless the acer liquid fancys you.

Upvote 0
at&t is getting the back flip awwww that phone looks sweet... okay i cant even say that with a strait face. that is one of the most horrible looking phones created to date IMO. dell mini 3 looks not all to bad though and the hero is a great phone but like you guys mentioned outdated software. i would only think at&t would be smart enough to jump on board for the nexus one with 3g bands. i think google wants that phone on every network

Upvote 0
a&t wont get the nexus one..as happy as it would make me, it wont happen. they would have mentioned it yesterday at the google event seeing as how they announced it coming to verizon and vodaphone, if there was any intention of it going to at&t they would have mentioned it. wishful thinking though. i wouldnt mind if the htc bravo were mystery phone #5, but we'll see.

Upvote 0
I pay $30 for my Fuze WinMo phone which is perfectly fine...I do use the internet quite a bit on this thing, and with WMWiFiRouter I can actually tether without having to pay AT&T for the privilege.

However, the programmer geek in me still loves the idea of an android phone, my contract is up with AT&T, but the wifes phone is still stuck to them till later this year, so I give them the chance regardless...but by May if they announced the Lancaster or some other crud phone then It's time to jump ship.

Unfortunately I don't think AT&T is all that comitted to android as other companies, just seems to me they are looking some way to profit off the apps and they want phones that have android, but are completely rooted and non Anrdoidlike for AT&T (i.e. motoblur)

Upvote 0
Unfortunately I don't think AT&T is all that comitted to android as other companies, just seems to me they are looking some way to profit off the apps and they want phones that have android, but are completely rooted and non Anrdoidlike for AT&T (i.e. motoblur)

I agree. All AT&T branded phones seem to have heavily modified software so that they get directed to use AT&T's services. For example, the excellent Sony Ericsson C905a dumbphone has its software clipped in such a way that it cannot use the built-in wifi. I am sure that by the time AT&T releases an Android phone, the software will be so bloated that it will destroy the whole Android experience.

Upvote 0
Well first off Google in a recent interview stated that not only would they release a world Nexus one phone but they will be expanding to all major carriers.

That includes AT&T and Sprint

When the backflip was first shown I thought it was going to be a POS plastic brick but after they showed it officially at CES I got real interested in the phone for the fact that the camera can face to you. The keyboard also acts like a textured backing when placed back in. And Motoblur isn't half bad.

The Dell phone looks like a brick but it resembles the Dell Mini 5 which was the Dell Slate they showed off, and everyone gizzed in their when they saw it.
The phone is suppose to be pretty nice.

And The landcaster IMO is a no go. Its too late for it to come. They must have new phones in the works.

But I suspect a Hero to come

Nexus one
Backflip
Mini 3
Possible Hero
Exclusive HTC Phone that no one knows yet
and if you wanna say that Nexus One is not part of the 3 HTC phones they said, expect a different HTC phone in this pack of phones to come between March and May

Upvote 0
I agree. All AT&T branded phones seem to have heavily modified software so that they get directed to use AT&T's services. For example, the excellent Sony Ericsson C905a dumbphone has its software clipped in such a way that it cannot use the built-in wifi. I am sure that by the time AT&T releases an Android phone, the software will be so bloated that it will destroy the whole Android experience.

Carriers don't get there grimmy hands on android and I think google has made that clear.

Upvote 0

sounds great, i just hope ATT doesn't add too many of their own stuff into the phones; now, i am curious about the launch date and pricing for the Desire and the N1;

also, just curious, i have the N1 now and using it with ATT; my phone has dust under the screen and i can get a swap; now, if i wait until the ATT version comes out, will i be able to swap it for an ATT version; if so, that would be awesome

Upvote 0
sounds great, i just hope ATT doesn't add too many of their own stuff into the phones
They'll probably add as much junk software/widgets/etc. to "their" Android phones as an OEM adds to a new computer, except that you won't be able to delete the AT&T stuff. I'm an AT&T user, but I don't think I'll ever buy a locked/contract phone from them again. I'm half-expecting AT&T to do something really stupid, like installing Bing or Yahoo as the default search engine on their Android phones.

I also don't like how Android is a footnote in the Backflip's description, almost as if MOTOBLUR were the operating system itself.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones