• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help AT&T LG G4 display quality & other small issues

RC90RR

Dec 30, 2014
Well, after giving up my quest of fixing my now Dead Nexus 5 I decided to spoil myself with the newest LG phone. One of the requirements I was looking to have was the ability to change batteries and make use of an SD card and the G4 had both options.

I spent a couple of days googling reviews and comparing the phone to the Samsung S6. I recently gave my wife a brand new S5 because AT&T decided to do away with Samsung's Car Mode, a feature I was looking forward to. I did love the swype keyboard easy usage (having pretty much a normal 101KB is very refreshing), image quality of icons, the display quality looked very vivid.

Yesterday I came home with my Xmas present, feeling like a little kid left unsupervised at a candy store LOL, and even though the battery was half full I started playing with updates, disabling apps i knew I was not going to use ever, etc and I noticed the battery just drained in what seemed less than 1 hour. OK, new phone I thought, I am doing things I normally would not be doing so let me put it to charge and continue later. About 2 hours later I started again and again I noticed that by setting everything how I wanted, updating the phone, etc, etc, the battery was gone in less 1 hour or a bit less than two. I have read that it would take about 10 for the battery to start working as it should but I don't know if I want to believe that, less with how new battery tech has improved over the years. Long story short, woke up this morning around 9 AM, battery fully charged, I have been working on installing, uninstalling apps and the phone is now at 28% and it almost 2 PM now... is this normal behavior?

Even though one of the things that turned me even more towards the G4 was a comparison of the home display between the G4 and the S6 Edge plus. The G4 seemed to show a true color image of the phone display and not a forced as the S6 Edge but now that I have it in my hands the opposite is true... the home display of my G4 looks opaque, like somebody sucked the colors from the phone, even with the brightness turned on at 100%. I have tried googling this but to no avail, I find no options to play with this feature and it is definitely making me think about exchanging it for the S6. The pictures I receive via sms or whatsapp look yellowish and opaque as well. I don't want to say that I got a Lemon Phone and if that is the case then I have no problem returning it and getting a new one.

The LG keyboard has some sort of swype capabilities but the usage of the second option characters sucks major donkey dinglies, it is cumbersome to say the least when you want to use characters that have a double row, your finger must be below the wanting character or the one on top will be chosen. Another option I loved on the Nexus 5 and even the S5 was the ability to write in English+Spanish or English+Portuguese without having to intervene with the auto-correction feature or be forced to be double tapping on a button to change languages. So I downloaded Swype+Dragon, which btw I loved on the S5, but on the G4 it was horrible, I lost the keypad on top, there were no emojis or smiley so I immediately uninstall it and went back to the LG kb.

In short, this may be stupid and small issues to be nagging about but are issues that make my loving the phone and wanting to use to having to use it when I need it. If I could fix these two last issues I would be one happy camper since spoiling myself does not come easy for me.

Thanks and sorry for the big rant but I prefer to give as much details as I can from the beginning. Hope you nice folks can shed some light on the subject.

P.S.: Rooting is not an option as that would blow my Warranty out of the water and I just started paying for the phone.

I would suggest the battery issue is likely more to doing enough discharging yet IMO, unless AT&T really have done some horrible overlay on it. Which firmware are you on? I know the first installed firmware on mine battery sucked. The next big update fixed the battery a lot. Now running Marshmallow, I took it off charge about midday yesterday and it is at 63% now. Granted I haven't used it heavily in that time really, the doze function in MM really does help a lot with screen off time. I'm sure if I were to tinker on it for an hour or two I would probably lose 20%. Obviously it would be nice to have a battery that would last days with moderate/heavy usage, but it is a power hungry device, until the makers actually make the batteries double what they currently are as standard you have to chose, performance or battery.
I don't use the swype function so can't say on that front. Coming from Sony Z1 to this I hated the keyboard at first, but I have now got used to it and find it OK now.

Upvote 0
My battery life is excellent, usually about 1 1/2 days, though I would say I'm not a heavy phone user. Working with updates and apps will drain things quickly. 4K screen time drains. I installed an app that lets me tap on and off and keeps the screen off as much as possible. Keyboard took some getting used to; now I'm perfectly happy with it. I'm not precisely sure about the home screen issue you have - my screen is set at 75%. Maybe experiment with turning off the auto brightness feature and/or lowering the settings? Maybe you just don't like the wallpaper (I didn't)? I'm on AT&T.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones