• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

At&t no contract phones

bg1287

Jun 6, 2014
Royal Oak, MI
So whats up with At&ts' No Contract (GoPhone) service? what's with the lack of good high end phones? The only good high end phone they got is the Galaxy Express. that's been since august or september of last year.

are they not planning on releasing new ones every now and then? all other prepaid services have better selections of phones.

As jhawkkw said, you can use any AT&T or unlocked GSM phone; I think AT&T doesn't brand more phones as "GoPhones" because they aren't wanting their prepaid service to steal customers from postpaid.

Some of the better, but low cost, phones that will work on GoPhone are the Nexus 5 (from the Play Store), the OnePlus One (which will hopefully soon be openly available), or the Moto X (through Motorola). The Moto G LTE (or even the original Moto G) is a good lower end phone that works great on GoPhone.

Upvote 0
Yeahh I'd much rather have a high end device. I'll probably go with an unlocked Blue version I found of the S3 for 300 on amazon. Speaking of which... if a device is unlocked, does that mean when you start using a carrier's service you have to stick with that service? or can you just as easily switch to another carrier with no hassles?

Upvote 0
Yeahh I'd much rather have a high end device. I'll probably go with an unlocked Blue version I found of the S3 for 300 on amazon. Speaking of which... if a device is unlocked, does that mean when you start using a carrier's service you have to stick with that service? or can you just as easily switch to another carrier with no hassles?

I can switch my unlocked moto g/lte phone between att and tmobile just by switching the sim card. The apn loads itself, and the phone has all the bands for both.
As for high end, i would get htc, lg, or motorola but not samsung . My experience with them was cheap feel,lousy qc, and way overpriced!

Upvote 0
I prefer Samsung. My current phone is a Samsung and it's the best phone I've ever had. I wanted to maybe try out the phone under Straight Talk's AT&T network, I already have the sim card. So all I'd have to do is just switch it out with my AT&T sim?

nope. tracfone, net 10, st, simple mobile are all same company ( america movil).

st has their own apn settings and you have to enter them yourself. check the forum and you will see different settings work on different phones. and, don't expect their cs to help. hard to get hold of them, english not very good, don't usually know correct answer. most of us either solved problem ourselves, got help from forum, or moved on to att itself, or cricket.

Upvote 0
Any at&t phone will work on prepaid or postpaid. Go phone you just pay full price for the device. And no they don't brand more phones at&t so it doesn't take the customers from postpaid. They don't brand them because the main manufacturers already have. At&t owns a lot of other prepaid services. It's the service that at&t provides.

Upvote 0
I have switched from AT&T postpaid to GoPhone and believe that many should consider doing so.

There is a Walmart plan you can use (don't need to go to Walmart to get it) that gives you unlimited calling and texting plus 1GB of data for only $45 a month.

If you buy your PINS from Callingmart you can get 10% off, which means you are really paying $40.50 a month. Right now Callingmart is having their monthly sale. You can look at the following link

http://www.callingmart.com/products... height=75 border=0 alt="www.callingmart.com"

Pls PM me if you need any further info on how to sign up. If you are already an AT&T customer you don't even need to switch SIM cards.

Upvote 0
I have switched from AT&T postpaid to GoPhone and believe that many should consider doing so.
For individuals, sure prepaid is usually a better deal. Families, not always. We're on the Mobile Share 10GB plan and it costs us ~$160 per month after corporate discount, taxes and fees so it ends up costing the same as Straight Talk while giving us more data to use (and I personally use maybe ~6-8GB of our allowance per month).

Upvote 0
For individuals, sure prepaid is usually a better deal. Families, not always. We're on the Mobile Share 10GB plan and it costs us ~$160 per month after corporate discount, taxes and fees so it ends up costing the same as Straight Talk while giving us more data to use (and I personally use maybe ~6-8GB of our allowance per month).

Some prepaid carriers have been adding family plans. Cricket, now owned by AT&T is one example. For four lines with 2.5GB each, they charge $140 including all taxes; and you can lower the price if you don't need 2.5GB of high speed data on all the lines.

Upvote 0
Some prepaid carriers have been adding family plans. Cricket, now owned by AT&T is one example. For four lines with 2.5GB each, they charge $140 including all taxes; and you can lower the price if you don't need 2.5GB of high speed data on all the lines.
Yeah, I already looked at Cricket. But it's only going to save me $10 per month and I couldn't find anything definitive in their T&C and AUP regarding tethering. Besides, I have the iPad on our Mobile Share plan. The unlimited data sure sounds nice, though. :p

Upvote 0

There is a Walmart plan you can use (don't need to go to Walmart to get it) that gives you unlimited calling and texting plus 1GB of data for only $45 a month.

If you buy your PINS from Callingmart you can get 10% off, which means you are really paying $40.50 a month. Right now Callingmart is having their monthly sale. You can look at the following link

http://www.callingmart.com/products... height=75 border=0 alt="www.callingmart.com"

Pls PM me if you need any further info on how to sign up. If you are already an AT&T customer you don't even need to switch SIM cards.

I do this same method with the $30 T-Mobile Walmart plan. Luckily for AT&T GoPhone users you guys save even more $ with CallingMart.

Hopefully soon AT&T will add more data to the $45 plan and let $10/GB be an option as well. Would gladly switch.

Upvote 0
You are welcome. I got the zte 998 for my son, who is not as fussy about resolution as I am.
He has zte, wife has pantech flex, and I have moto g/lte on $30 t-mobile 5gb lte plan. Besides that, my line on at&t 10gb share plan can use my one plus one, pantech discover, or htc first ( which I changed into a nexus phone by disabling the social network garbage). I value privacy online, which makes me anti-social........:)
the good thing is all my phones are unlocked, and all but the htc can be used on either carrier.
never, ever could do that when i had verizon or sprint. love gsm and the movable sim cards!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones