• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [AT&T] Root phone or wait for 4.2/4.3

updates probably wont be coming to ATT for a few more months, I rooted my evo v 4g before but this is a contract phone so im paranoid about rooting it. Should I just do it or wait for the updates

I too debated on this very subject for a short while. However, with AT&T you could grow old and die waiting for updates. AT&T seems to have a quicker track record updating HTC devices than Samsung. For example, the Vivid was the first carrier device to receive ICS. So, I decided I'd rather not wait for AT&T to take its sweet old time for getting us 4.2.2 and I went the whole way.... umlocked the bootloader, root, s-off and supercid and I couldn't be happier. There is nothing to be paranoid about, contract or not. There is SO much info on XDA/Google search and YouTube on HOW to unlock the bootloader, achieve root, s-off and supercid that you'd have to be completely illiterate to not figure it out. Plus, if you root and gain s-off you can always reverse the bootloader to an 'untampered', locked state again and return to bone stock if you ever need to send it in for repair. I say take the plunge. You won't regret it.

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
definately get s off now,while you can. after youve gotten s off,you can stay completely stock and recieve OTAs,if you wish(tho thats not much fun ;))

with s off,you can ALWAYS easily re root,and you can also eliminate the relocked watermark your left with if you stay s on. s-off lets you get back to 100% stock,s-on,locked,wich may be important for a phone you may want to trade in someday ;)

Reactions: t3chn0s1s
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones