• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

AT&T-subsidized N1?

Subsidized N1 on AT&T?
Rubin states that the process will be two-fold. First: get the Nexus One into more retail outlets on subsidized deals with wireless carriers (but not Verizon or Sprint, lest you forget). Second: end sales of the N1 through the Google Store, instead shifting it towards a portal showcasing the latest Android phones from all manufacturers and carriers.
That's what I read into it, anyway...

if at&t gets there hands on the n1... they will ruin it... they ruining the android phones now so they would just ruin the nexus one... i bought mine from the google store and glad i did that instead of buying a android from at&t
Your ideas intrigue me & I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Upvote 0
office_space_kit_mat.jpg

Pretty much. Helps pass the time, though.

Upvote 0
Only 4 phones in 36 days. I say they can not do it since the iphone will also hit in that time.

Not only that...but 4 phones that the salespeople in the stores(where most of the phones are sold) have NO idea about.

Unless they are the best actors in the world, they have not been told any more than we have, and most that I have talked to love the iPhone so much, they have not bothered to research what Android is.

The chance that AT&T would launch/make available 4 "high end" phones in a month with very little differentiation is minuscule at best. Oh yeah, they should have a new iPhone in there also to muddy the waters.

Best case in my world:
1) Backflip-$75 on 2 year contract
2) Dell Aero-$149 on contract
3) HTC Aria- $199 on contract
4)... -$249 on contract
5) Nexus 1-$299 on contract

Upvote 0
Not only that...but 4 phones that the salespeople in the stores(where most of the phones are sold) have NO idea about.

Unless they are the best actors in the world, they have not been told any more than we have, and most that I have talked to love the iPhone so much, they have not bothered to research what Android is.

The chance that AT&T would launch/make available 4 "high end" phones in a month with very little differentiation is minuscule at best. Oh yeah, they should have a new iPhone in there also to muddy the waters.

Best case in my world:
1) Backflip-$75 on 2 year contract
2) Dell Aero-$149 on contract
3) HTC Aria- $199 on contract
4)... -$249 on contract
5) Nexus 1-$299 on contract

At this point I've just decided that once I can get the Pre for a penny at Amazon Wireless on upgrade I'll get it. Not seeming like anything I would want more will come out in time.

Upvote 0
Hey everyone, this is my first post here. I've been a long time Mac user but just never bought into the iPhone. Like everyone else I've been waiting for Android to hit AT&T but am not sure how much longer I can hold out. Recently ran out of my contract so I'm up for an upgrade and NEED a new phone as my Blackjack II is on it's last leg. I've been thinking about getting an iPhone and selling it then coughing up for something else.

I really like this idea of getting a Palm Pre Plus from Amazon then flipping it on Ebay towards a N1. Anyone else have any advice on this? At the same time, I hate a Treo 650 before my BJII and loved it....so maybe I'll stick with the Pre.

In my situation what would everyone do? I can't leave AT&T due to service we get along with being on a family plan. Not really able to hold out much longer each. Help me friends.

Upvote 0
My only worry is the issue of announcement versus actual release. My BJII has had to be factory restored three times in the last two months. I've not only lost data but also had strange peroids when it either wouldn't ring when receiving a call or no sound would come out of the headset although the other party could hear me. It's definitely a scary unreliable beast at this point. I can wait a bit, but not if the actual releases don't come until nearly the end of summer.Also, is there anything AT&T could release to top the N1? I've heard talk of the Galaxy and a possible HTC android device, but will those truly be better??

Upvote 0
Well you are right, that isn't what I wanted to hear, but it is what I expected haha. I suppose I can try and give it one more month, and if this thing crashes again I'll throw in the towel. Played with the Pre a bit this afternoon and although I'd had a few beers at lunch it seemed pretty good. At least I've got a backup plan to waiting for AT&T now.

Upvote 0
The waiting game sucks for sure. I have been on it since the announcement made Jan 7th about android. Then see all these great handsets get announced by every other carrier including many regionals it hurts. But where I am at AT&T has the best coverage and fastest network so I am kind of stuck. But if something does not happen very soon I will deal with slower speeds just over principle of AT&Ts lack of phone choices. Since they only thing they seem to listen to is money.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones