• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Atrix Car Dock and Music Player

s_wruble

Lurker
Mar 4, 2011
Are there specific dock settings for the Atrix in the car dock? Obviously, when docked, the car home opens, but is there a way to kill the music player when you remove it from the dock? Its annoying that when you remove it from the dock music switches over to the phone speaker.

Also, I'd really like the audio from calls to be routed through my car speakers and not the phone speakerphone.

Thanks!

I have the same problem when I remove the handset from the car dock. Music still plays. I found this to be the case in the stock music player as well as with Winamp. What I got in the habit of doing was hitting the pause button before I remove the handset. Not elegant but it works for me.

I get call audio through my car speakers. By default, the phone works in speaker phone mode in the cradle, but if you press the speaker button, the audio get routed to the car speakers. I have a 3.5mm cable connecting the car dock cable to the aux input in my car stereo.

Upvote 0
I have the same problem when I remove the handset from the car dock. Music still plays. I found this to be the case in the stock music player as well as with Winamp. What I got in the habit of doing was hitting the pause button before I remove the handset. Not elegant but it works for me.

I get call audio through my car speakers. By default, the phone works in speaker phone mode in the cradle, but if you press the speaker button, the audio get routed to the car speakers. I have a 3.5mm cable connecting the car dock cable to the aux input in my car stereo.

Please pardon my newbie ignorance, but I have been unable to get sound to come from the phone's speaker when in the Car Dock. Could that speaker button be the culprit? Where is it?
Thanks for helping.

Upvote 0
When you insert your handset into the car dock, the car dock app should automatically launch. At this point the music app can be started from the upper left hand icon on the phone's display. Press it and then press play. You should hear the selected song play from the handset's speaker if you do not have anything plugged into the 3.5mm jack that's on the car dock's cable (at the USB/Charger end.) Give this a try.

If you do have something plugged into the 3.5mm jack, then the sound will be routed through that connection. If for example you plug a male to male 3.5mm cable into the dock cable's jack but leave the other end not plugged in, you will not hear any sound when playing music on your handset. Could this be your situation?

Reactions: mannljm
Upvote 0
bahbah,
Well you hit the nail on the head! The Car Dock came with a cable attached to the 3.5mm jack. I didn't realize that it could be removed. Once I removed it "Voila" sound now emanates from the Atrix's internal speaker. Case Closed. Can't thank you enough for your insight.
The sad thing is that I had called Motorola Atrix support and they told me that I had a defective Car Dock and would send me a new one, which I will have to send right back. Apparently easier for them to replace the unit then to spend a minute or two trouble-shooting.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones