• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Attach the phone to the head is dangerous because of radiation?

Alon Zamir

Lurker
Jul 7, 2019
Hey,I use opentrack software for head tracking in games and it's nice but the problem here is that I need to attach the phone to my headset and the headset is on my head. Is the radiation dangerous for the head ?can it cause cancer or some other problems to my head?

thanks.

Phones emit non-ionising radio waves (technically in the "microwave" region of the electromagnetic spectrum, but that word is almost as likely to cause people to jump to conclusions as the word "radiation"). Cancer is caused by ionising radiation (shorter wavelengths: ultra-violet, X-ray, gamma radiation).

Although you do get people who claim it causes health effects, the only verified damage mechanism from microwave radiation is from heating, and phones are very low power transmitters. There are limits on how much radiation they can emit, or more accurately on how much the user can absorb when using them, but those are set on a precautionary basis, i.e. well below any known clinical threshold. And those are when in a call, so actively transmitting.

Epidemiologically there is no evidence that phones can cause cancer. Of course you'll find the occasional report of someone who was a heavy phone user who developed a brain tumour, but sad as that is in itself tells you nothing: you need to look at statistics, including how many people develop such tumours without phone use, and when you do that there's really no evidence. And for other health effects you have to control for other variables, some of them quite tricky such as posture (which can cause strain injuries) and nocebo effects (negative placebo: if someone thinks they are exposed to something harmful they feel or even fall ill - this is a very real thing, by the way). Again, there's no actual evidence.

There is however a small industry there to prey on people who are worried about such things, who will do anything from selling "anti-radiation sticker" placebos to put on phones to tinfoil-lining your bedroom (seriously).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hadron has answered this question as fully as possible. And there is nothing to add. Everything in this world is harmful to some extent. Of course the radiation from the phone is not good, but it does not cause critical harm. There are things that are much more harmful. The main thing is to watch your health, exercise, eat right and maintain your immune system. And for the radiation from the phone can not be afraid;)

Upvote 0
The only legit harm you can get from enough EM exposure is slightly disrupted sleep or headaches. Not cancer. The whole 'phones cause brain cancer' was debunked long before AMPS (analog cellular) died, but they up and killed it anyway (take that as you will)

But this is nearing the whole conspiracy fearmongering that made people assume 5G causes birds to drop out of the sky and deer to turn carnivorous.

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones