• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Attention All Straight Talkers

As most Straight Talkers know, our choice of Androids have been the Samsung Galaxy Precedent and the LG Optimus Q.. but not for long. :)
In the near future, S.T. will add two more Androids to their list:

The LG Optimus 2x
lg-optimus-2x.jpg

And the LG Optimus Black
11x0104ub45lgot.jpg

The smell of progress lingers in the Straight Talk air. :D :rolleyes:

You can find more info on the Black on wontek.com :)

Reactions: PolicyWonk
Id like to buy this phone as the droid i have with Verizon is costing way to much for me. Stright talk does work in my area but says the Galaxy S wont? Is the phone sure enough powere by Sprint? Because Sprint does not work in my area.

It is believed that the Optimus Black will be a Sprint serviced phone, The LG Optimus 2X is thought to be serviced by T Mobile, it is a GSM Phone and no one thinks that ATT is smart enough to do anything like this. Personally I believe that Straight Talk, T Mobile and Sprint will all pick up huge customer numbers doing this. When the Precedent and OptimusQ were released through Sprint people said they would never sell because of Sprints crappy service but the crappy Sprint service was apparently good enough for many buyers and enough that most stores could not keep them on the shelves, at my local WM the Precedent rack can hold 3 rows with 3 pegs each row, 5 phones to each peg and are normally down to one or less phone per peg, the Optimus Q gets stocked and sold out before the next shipment almost every time.
The OB is a hi end phone and Sprint will pick up boat loads of new people because of it, and the Optimus 2X will garner ST and TM the same. This will be TMs first Android with ST and as long as the phone is not grossly over priced will sell very well. People forked out 300.00 without blinking for the failed Motorola Triumph, and even faster to let loose of 200.00 for the Exhibit 2 4G which in my opinion is a rock solid phone, love mine to death.
But this 2X will be a game changer for ST and Pay As You Go. Combined the 2X and the Optimus Black will set ST aside and ahead of all MVNOs IMHO.
I can say that in my area there are NONE (MVNOs) that even come close to these two phones, and for the record I do not count the pay as you go ends of AT&T, T Mobile or Verizon as MVNOs because I know at least with AT&T you can put out the hundreds for a phone from their post paid line up and use it on pre paid. MVNOs like Boost, ST, Crickets phones are based on what the service providers are willing to use with them.
And typically that is not much. Sprint has really stepped up the game by selling ANY android through ST and now it looks like T Mobile is joining in.
I think ATT may get in on this after Sprint and TM have sold a boat load more phones through ST and picked up many thousands more customers, but that will be years down the road (That ATT finally sells Androids through ST, ST will sell many, many thousands of new Android phones with no problems and in no time at all), Verizons pumpkin sized ego will prevent them from joining the frey and they will miss out on major growth.

Reactions: ThatonedudexP
Upvote 0
I'm confused. I don't know anything about Straight Talk, whose network do they use? It can't be Sprint AND T Mobile, (can it?) Sprint is CDMA and T Mo is GSM. I know the Optimus Black is coming to Boost, which is Sprint. And why its the Triumph failed? I know it had some issues, but their forum has a big community, and a lot of people seem to be happy with it.(granted, a lot of people are unhappy with it as well, but that seems common for a lot of phones, including the LG G2X.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I'm confused. I don't know anything about Straight Talk, whose network do they use? It can't be Sprint AND T Mobile, (can it?) Sprint is CDMA and T Mo is GSM. I know the Optimus Black is coming to Boost, which is Sprint. And why its the Triumph failed? I know it had some issues, but their forum has a big community, and a lot of people seem to be happy with it.(granted, a lot of people are unhappy with it as well, but that seems common for a lot of phones, including the LG G2X.

Straight Talk is a MVNO they don't own any hardware/towers persay, they buy time from the big six and resell it.
They sell and use both CDMA and GSM phones.
The two new ones are believed to be from both systems, the Black on CDMA and the 2X on GSM.
More to the point ST (depending on what phone you have uses AT&T, Sprint, maybe a few Verizon phones, and the hopeful new TMobile phone the 2X.

Upvote 0
I'm confused. I don't know anything about Straight Talk, whose network do they use? It can't be Sprint AND T Mobile, (can it?) Sprint is CDMA and T Mo is GSM.

Straight Talk is a MVNO they don't own any hardware/towers persay, they buy time from the big six and resell it.
They sell and use both CDMA and GSM phones.
The two new ones are believed to be from both systems, the Black on CDMA and the 2X on GSM.
More to the point ST (depending on what phone you have uses AT&T, Sprint, maybe a few Verizon phones, and the hopeful new TMobile phone the 2X.

I know the Optimus Black is coming to Boost, which is Sprint. And why its the Triumph failed? I know it had some issues, but their forum has a big community, and a lot of people seem to be happy with it.(granted, a lot of people are unhappy with it as well, but that seems common for a lot of phones, including the LG G2X.

I say failed for a few reasons. One I put out 300.00 for one and it was the worst POS bar none I have ever purchased, had it been given to me I would have trashed the thing, but since I have 300.00 invested in it I am still trying to find a use for it other than a paper weight or a target at the range.
I don't know about now, but I do know at a point some stores here in Saint Louis would not sell the phone because of the hi return rate, people have returned their MT up to 8 times before they got one that was not buggered so bad that they couldn't use it. Virgin Mobile during this whole thing recalled the phone from the stores and only sold it from their web sight, I'm not sure if they are back in the stores now or not.
My guess is that they were replacing so many phones that they had to recall the ones at the store so that the warranty center had enough to send out while they refurbed the bad phones that were being sent in, before it was all said and done I ended up having to send mine in for a replacement as well.
It is true there are those that got working phones, but the percentage of people that received bad phones was far to hi for anyones liking. VM and Motorola should have recalled the phones and fixed them, they could sell them after that as working phones, but to date they have not, and continue to deny any problem with the phone.
Let me say that another way, VM has admitted that the phone has problems is some areas, but not admitted that the phone has major issues all the way around, their unwillingness to take proper steps to correct these problems on a 300.00 phone has lost them customers, they are still selling this phone on their sight and that will piss even more people off because if they have not fixed the ROM on this phone which happens to be 99% of the problem with it, the new customers will be getting the same old bag of dog poop that VM has been selling all along.
My first MT worked great for the first week and a half to two weeks, after that it was a avalanche, one thing after another in rapid succession, I finally put the phone away and moved to Straight Talk when it started rebooting 3 to 4 times a day on its own. That with all the other problems it was having and the 15 min GPS lock, GPS would not lock at all if I didn't use the app GPSFix. It had to run for about 15 min, then I could open my GPS and that still took about 5 even after GPSFix, but without that app it would not lock. Even after all that, the GPS would take me on wonderful adventures, going east when I should be going west, turning right when I should turn left, the one I thought was the funniest was when I was on a bridge out in St. Charles Mo and it said I needed to make a right, HA right in the middle of the bridge. Thank god for Garmin Nuvi.
Before I did the switch to ST I was using my little TracFone, not fancy but it at least worked.
All this and so much more is why I say failed.

Reactions: Gmash
Upvote 0
Ah, I'd never heard of one using both GSM and CDMA. Interesting.
American Movil is not the largest MVNO in the World (I think) for no reason at all, they sell phones for every area in every area, ATT great but not Sprint, they sell ATT phones in that area, Verizon works but not ATT, They sell Verizon, they are smart cookies. If I had the money I'd buy them and make a buck or two.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I followed the Triumph forum for a while when it came out. There did seem to be a lot of complaints but I've seen that in a lot if other forums as well. The funny thing is when people get mad at the people who are having problems and tell them it must be their fault because "my phone is perfect and its the best thing evar" lol. Never understood why people get so defensive over a phone. Agreed that the ROM was a big part of the problem with that phone, though the hardware had issues too. The G2X had major issues with the Froyo ROM, but I think Gingerbread fixed a lot of the problems. Haven't checked in on that forum for awhile.

Reactions: androidfonefan
Upvote 0
Yeah, I followed the Triumph forum for a while when it came out. There did seem to be a lot of complaints but I've seen that in a lot if other forums as well. The funny thing is when people get mad at the people who are having problems and tell them it must be their fault because "my phone is perfect and its the best thing evar" lol. Never understood why people get so defensive over a phone. Agreed that the ROM was a big part of the problem with that phone, though the hardware had issues too. The G2X had major issues with the Froyo ROM, but I think Gingerbread fixed a lot of the problems. Haven't checked in on that forum for awhile.

Yup, I was one of those against the Triumph. I have the Samsung Exhibit 2 4G, It works great for me, but others have problems. I feel for those people because I know where they stand, from my Triumph experiences. I believe that more often than not all these smart phone problems are ROM related, Android, I Phone or Black Berry. Seldomly are the problems actual hardware problems, but the Triumph even has those. It has a wretched GPS unit in it, I kinda doubt that Sprint/VM/Motorola was aware that the phone was going to receive it, I think the manufacturer had thousands of known bad GPS units left over from a previous run of the phones previous incarnation and used them in that phone so they could get them out of stock and paid for them, FULL WELL KNOWING THEY WERE BAD. The manufacturer knew and should be held responsible for the crappy GPS, if they did the ROM on the phone they that is their fault as well.
If Motorola or Sprint/VM did the ROM then one of them needs to be smacked like brainless turds that they obviously are. And lastly, every las person that bought these phones should be getting a full refund because these phones at 300.00 have a dirt poor performance record. The LG Optimus V was half the price and half the phone but worked 10 times better.

Upvote 0
As most Straight Talkers know, our choice of Androids have been the Samsung Galaxy Precedent and the LG Optimus Q.. but not for long. :)
In the near future, S.T. will add two more Androids to their list:

The LG Optimus 2x
lg-optimus-2x.jpg

And the LG Optimus Black
11x0104ub45lgot.jpg

The smell of progress lingers in the Straight Talk air. :D :rolleyes:

You can find more info on the Black on wontek.com :)
any idea when they will release these phones? I just bought the LG opt Q but battery life sucks! I am still within return window

Upvote 0
I can't seem to load more than 13 contacts into my phone. Or, to be more specific, I can load them, but I can't see them. They are in there somewhere because if I dial the number or if the call or text me, their name comes up. But when I look at the contact list, there are only 13 and if I search, I still can't find them. :( What's up?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones