• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Audio too quiet through aux cable

When i plug the aux cable from my phone into my car it recognizes it as headphones and severely dampens the audio. I turn the volume up all the way on my phone and my sterio and i still can berely hear it. Anyone else having this problem?
What you hav2 do its raise vol on ph and when the audio save stuff comes out just hit ok to raise vol n it should b fine

Reactions: bcrichster
Upvote 0
When i plug the aux cable from my phone into my car it recognizes it as headphones and severely dampens the audio. I turn the volume up all the way on my phone and my sterio and i still can berely hear it. Anyone else having this problem?
I had a similar issue that I resolved by Rooting the phone, installing ViPER4Android, then increasing output gain on "headset" option. Booming now! [emoji41]

Reactions: KOLIO and Krlypumaa
Upvote 0
If you're rooted, you can modify the /system/etc/mixer_paths.xml file to increase the headphone output. I did this to my Stylo today, and my earbuds have a noticeable, but not too high increase in volume without distortion.

This assumes you are rooted and have a proper nandroid backup. If you do not know what that is, please don't do this until you do. I am not responsible for device damage.

That said:
Use an app like ES File Explorer to navigate to the /system/etc/ directory. Locate the mixer_paths. xml file. Using a text editor capable of saving the file locate the following 2 lines in the file:

<ctl name="HPHL Volume" value="8" />
<ctl name="HPHR Volume" value="8" />

and change both values from "8" to "10" ("11" if you're feeling risky). Save the file, then reboot. Since your stereo is making the Stylo think it's a pair of headphones, it will have more volume headroom.

Upvote 0
If you're rooted, you can modify the /system/etc/mixer_paths.xml file to increase the headphone output. I did this to my Stylo today, and my earbuds have a noticeable, but not too high increase in volume without distortion.

This assumes you are rooted and have a proper nandroid backup. If you do not know what that is, please don't do this until you do. I am not responsible for device damage.

That said:
Use an app like ES File Explorer to navigate to the /system/etc/ directory. Locate the mixer_paths. xml file. Using a text editor capable of saving the file locate the following 2 lines in the file:

<ctl name="HPHL Volume" value="8" />
<ctl name="HPHR Volume" value="8" />

and change both values from "8" to "10" ("11" if you're feeling risky). Save the file, then reboot. Since your stereo is making the Stylo think it's a pair of headphones, it will have more volume headroom.

but if you mess up you will have no sound at all

Upvote 0
It's editing two lines in a text file. If you mess that up, perhaps you shouldn't be editing system files. Hence the need for a proper nandroid backup.

The real "danger" is getting over zealous with the values and sending to out too much power, possibly damaging your earbuds or head phones, or other equipment. I set mine to 11, and along with additional sound processing (BBE) my Skull Candy's and Sony's rock.

{All about that bass, no treble!}

Upvote 0
It's editing two lines in a text file. If you mess that up, perhaps you shouldn't be editing system files. Hence the need for a proper nandroid backup.

The real "danger" is getting over zealous with the values and sending to out too much power, possibly damaging your earbuds or head phones, or other equipment. I set mine to 11, and along with additional sound processing (BBE) my Skull Candy's and Sony's rock.

{All about that bass, no treble!}

But you can't make the backup if your with Boost, and i edited that file before and got no sound as a result i got my info from a G3 thread since there was no progress on the Stylo at the time...and you'd be surprised how many times people mess up even when they have word for word directions.

(i prefer enough base to feel but still have enough mids and treble to enjoy trance among other genres; i use my over the ear Sol Republics and my Skull Candy Ink'd 2.0)

Upvote 0
hmmm...t worked on my S3 tho on team octos rom....which has a device tree...
S3 does not have a device tree binary (dtb), not talking about source code, and it was made for the s3 the script unpacks boot.img set it permissive and flashes it to boot partition I'm not sure when Qualcomm moved from the old msm symlink to bootdevice, but the s3 uses the older by-name/boot symlink . Of course the zip would work on other chip set that use that symlink 8226, 8960, 8974 , etc but not 8994 , 8992, 8916, 8939.

Reactions: 6th_Hokage
Upvote 0
**** PLEASE READ,READ,READ & FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS ****
All right guys I have been playing aroud with this vol issues... So far this its what i got. Vol+ loud enough for my tastes, and other ppl... I made sure i tested on to see if it was any issues with distortion, echoing...etc... So far. All good... (ringtone, notification, voicemail, cam= recording)
** Now I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE NEITHER A.F COMMUNITY FOR ANY DAMAGE OF YOUR DEVICE ***

1* download file to external-sd ...extract here
2* copy n paste into system/etc in your root manager.
3* rename stock mixer.path.xml with (.old) " e.g = mixer_paths.xml.old"
4* rename the mixer.paths.xml.tweaked by removing (tweaked)
5* SET PERMISSIONS TO "RW-R-R" (644)
6* reboot into recovery "WIPE-CACHE" Only" reboot system
-- provide feedback ---
*Edited file.*
http://www.mediafire.com/download/z3zu7pxk4zuz822/mixer_paths.xml.tweaked.zip

Edited new test
2*Test http://www.mediafire.com/download/72xbbm54ay8z8ot/tweak2.AUX.mixer_paths.xml.zip

Last edited:
Upvote 0
**** PLEASE READ,READ,READ & FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS ****
All right guys I have been playing aroud with this vol issues... So far this its what i got. Vol+ loud enough for my tastes, and other ppl... I made sure i tested on to see if it was any issues with distortion, echoing...etc... So far. All good... (ringtone, notification, voicemail, cam= recording)
** Now I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE NEITHER A.F COMMUNITY FOR ANY DAMAGE OF YOUR DEVICE ***

1* download file to external-sd ...extract here
2* copy n paste into system/etc in your root manager.
3* rename stock mixer.path.xml with (.old) " e.g = mixer_paths.xml.old"
4* rename the mixer.paths.xml.tweaked by removing (tweaked)
5* SET PERMISSIONS TO "RW-R-R" (644)
6* reboot into recovery "WIPE-CACHE" Only" reboot system
-- provide feedback ---
*Edited file.*
http://www.mediafire.com/download/z3zu7pxk4zuz822/mixer_paths.xml.tweaked.zip

Thank you. I definitely hear a difference in loudness. I always test my loudest Young Jeezy song, lol. But I'm home and everything is loud when you're home so I'll give it a test tomorrow on my way to work.

Upvote 0
Thank you. I definitely hear a difference in loudness. I always test my loudest Young Jeezy song, lol. But I'm home and everything is loud when you're home so I'll give it a test tomorrow on my way to work.
Good ... Please test with AUX cable to any outer speaker... Im gonna keep playing around to find right values for all hardwares ( bluthooth, aux, headsets, vc-Vol, mic, sub-mic-headset, 2nd.mic) ***involving rec-mic (Cam-Vid)
I got some volumes good but blutooth was giving me bad feedback cam.record too much distortion... Plus sub.mic stoped working so whent back to -0- (last tweaked). I'll keep y@ll on the loop. :rolleyes::cool:

Upvote 0
Thanks God Busy with work,,,

Attachments

• 1438924521923.jpg
    1438924521923.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 215
Upvote 0
Good ... Please test with AUX cable to any outer speaker... Im gonna keep playing around to find right values for all hardwares ( bluthooth, aux, headsets, vc-Vol, mic, sub-mic-headset, 2nd.mic) ***involving rec-mic (Cam-Vid)
I got some volumes good but blutooth was giving me bad feedback cam.record too much distortion... Plus sub.mic stoped working so whent back to -0- (last tweaked). I'll keep y@ll on the loop. :rolleyes::cool:

I tried a Aux cable at work and didn't get any sound. My phone calls are good and the music is great!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones