• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

augen 7" 2.1

And if it is crap, you can always bring it back.

That's the most exciting part to me :)

I wandered into the tablet area to see if it was posted. The kmart by me doesn't have them yet, there is one that has them but it's a bit of a drive. I'll wait to get one local. The girl said she has taken like 20 calls on this tablet today alone.

Perfect compliment to the evo I hope.

Upvote 0
So I picked one up today, thinking w00t score. Overall I am not impressed yet, not to say that won't change with some tweaking. It is barely responsive with a live wallpaper running, I put a regular static image and it became usable. The resistive touchscreen does detract from the image quality a fair amount.

The processor in it is a Telechips TCC8900 Evaluation Board (model number under system info)

Kernel:
2.6.26 (Kevin@localhost #115) - whatever the kevin stuff means

Build Number:
telechips_tcc8900_us=eng2.1-update1 Elcair eng.huangjidong.20100721.190326 test-keys

Upvote 0
Kernel:
2.6.26 (Kevin@localhost #115) - whatever the kevin stuff means
Kevin@localhost is probably the username and name of the computer the Kernel was built on. Nothing of concern to do with performance.

Can you post up more detailed specs on this device like screen res, battery life times, RAM, dimensions, weight and price you paid. I think i will add it to the list on my blog.

Edit: oh there are specs in the first post! Please post any other specs you find not already in this thread. I'm interested in battery life (real life usage) and your overall oponion on the product, whether it is worth the money compared to other device available of similar price.

Upvote 0
Kevin@localhost is probably the username and name of the computer the Kernel was built on. Nothing of concern to do with performance.

Can you post up more detailed specs on this device like screen res, battery life times, RAM, dimensions, weight and price you paid. I think i will add it to the list on my blog.

Edit: oh there are specs in the first post! Please post any other specs you find not already in this thread. I'm interested in battery life (real life usage) and your overall oponion on the product, whether it is worth the money compared to other device available of similar price.

I have a small little craptastic video coming.
Here is a link to the development platform it is built on: Telechips TCC8900 development platform
If I have to guess, i would say they did not deviate from the reference dev board,.

edit:/ video is going to have to wait, I do not have any of the drivers installed. I finally got quadrant on it, it would not install it from the market, I had to copy it from my phone to the sd card then put the card back int he tablet. something weird about it, the specs said 2gig internal memory, but it only is reporting 280megs.

Quadrant benchmark came back @ 272
Current clock is 600mhz
memory: 151716kB total
Free: 9040kB
Inactive: 67512kB

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0
The local KMart in Columbus, OH had 5 or so in stock this afternoon, so I picked one up since the price is low, and it's returnable. My feelings are mixed.

Pros:
I like the size, much more portable than a 10" but big enough to be a reasonable e-book reader, media player, and web browser. It does include the Marketplace, which worked fine for the few free apps I downloaded. Wifi worked well, I was able to get a steady connection from the parking lot of a couple of different "free wifi" coffee shops immediately after leaving Kmart. I didn't watch any video except for Youtube, which worked and looked fine. The screen is very reflective, but I had little problem reading an e-book with the Kindle app outdoors.

Cons:
Having used an iPhone for the past few years, this screen is going to require some major adjustments to get used to. Typing requires a much harder keypress, no auto-correct that I found, which led to lots of typos. The screen is also a finger print magnet, in the 15 minutes I used it I must've wiped it clear at least 3 times. The navigation buttons on the back are a pain to use, might eventually learn to use them by feel, but they're very small and close together. On the side where MicroSD and USB ports are, there is a label for HDMI, but no HDMI port. Not a big deal, but confusing. The back casing is plastic, and feels somewhat cheap, but also makes it feel very light. Navigation with Google Maps was also confusing. When I opened Maps while connected to Wifi, it immediately located me on the map, which led me to believe that it had a GPS chipset (I didn't think it did going in). However, driving around never changed my position on the map.

Overall, I'm not completely sold on it, but for $150 I'll give it a chance. There are a ton more features I want to test and provide some feedback on, still trying to learn my way around the Android OS. I also have some travel coming up and plan to take this instead of a full laptop, to give it a real usability test.

Upvote 0
I'm one of the rare folks that is excited that it has a resistive screen. I use tablets like a slate...create forms for interviews and assessments, and this might fit the bill nicely!

Remember, the resistive screen allows you to write and draw on the screen. If someone can port xournal to android, it would be magic.

I've got a raincheck...and I'll be checking tomorrow.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones