• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Aukey Dashboard Camera DR01 Review

Duckster

Android Enthusiast
Jul 20, 2010
Hello,

I'm doing another review of an Aukey product. Aukey does send the items to me for review but I am not financially compensated at all. Therefore, you get my honest review of their product. This is on the Aukey Dasboard DR01 Camera. To make it Android Samsung Galaxy Note 8 related, you're going to have to work with me!:)

Scenario: You're driving down the street and as you approach an intersection...BAM! You get hit from the left front quarter side of your car! When you get out, you noticed that they guy was talking on his phone as he drove through the intersection and he just happened to have a Samsung Galaxy Note 8! Interestingly enough, you have a Note 8 as well, but you were not talking and driving. To make a long story short, the other driver claims that you ran the red light and that he had the right of way! You both take out your Samsung Note 8's and call the police for the report. A week later, you insurance company sends you a letter to tell you that the other driver is now going to sue you for damages and medical expenses (that he never claimed at the time of the accident). This was just the moment you were waiting for!

In comes your personal witness and the best defense that money could by; Your Aukey Dashboard DR01 Dashcam! This device is another great product from Aukey. It has a 2" color LCD and it takes excellent both day and night videos and pictures. It has a 1080P resolution and a 170 degree field of view! Attached are pictures of what comes in the box. The cable is long enough for you to route it out of the way. It has several cool features, and one of them is that it has a motion sensor for when you are away from your car. To make this work, your cigarette plug or USB car port must always be hot even with the key off. The device is also very light, so you won't have to worry about it falling off while you are casually driving down the road. You can either use the suction cup or the 3M stickers to hold it to the windshield. The camera is forward facing only, but it can be swiveled.

Some of the other features include a simple menu that is easily navigated. The buttons are big enough for you to set it up and to activate them without a microscope! The display is always on so all you have to do is set it, plug it in, and forget it. It has a loop feature so that it will continuously loop the video unless you say otherwise. You can override this if it senses and accident or if you click on the save button. The dashcam also has a microphone on it that can be turned off or on. If you turn it on, it allows you to make verbal notes (other than the proverbial "OH @#%@" before, during or after an accident! There are laws in certain states, so you have to be aware of recording (video or audio) with others in the car.

The only thing that I really didn't like about this camera is that it requires a micro card and it did not come as part of the package. Thus, if you want it, you'll have to supply your own micro TF card (128 max). I'm not sure why it is not supported as part of the package, but I'd easily pay the extra money for the convenience of having it.

Now for the rest of the story. You use your Samsung Galaxy Note 8 to call your insurance company. You tell them that you have video proof of your light being green and the other person running his red light. Even sweeter, he is looking the other way and your dashcam clearly shows him talking on the phone and being inattentive! You have a really cool insurance agent (who also has a Samsung Galaxy Note 8, and she asks you to email the video to her. You use your Note 8 to do so. Later that day, your insurance agent calls you back (on your Note 8) to inform you that the law suit had been dropped. The End!

Overall, I'd definitely recommend this dashcam to anyone who is interested in gadgets. More importantly, for anyone who is on the road a lot and is interested in having the best witness in the business as a riding partner!
The Box.jpgIn The Box.jpgCam 1.jpg Cam 2.jpg

Last edited:

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones