• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Auto Memory Manager problem

Yeah, widgets kinda need to stay resident just like the launcher does. Otherwise you'd have to wait when you swipe to their homepage. So they insist on keeping a running service. There's usually not much productive that can/should be done about that, other than possibly uninstalling the widget if you don't need it and the memory usage is causing you heart ache.

What is this "auto memory manager" app? Do you have link...we are usually skeptical of those things similar to auto task killers...see sticky at top of forum.

I'm also of the opinion that memory management is worth discussing. What are your concerns that lead you to memory manager and are you rooted? There may be certain limited things that can be done to check whether memory is impacting performance (1-developer options...process stats...see if there is yellow or red at top 2-settings/manage apps/running process....which things have not been running since boot based on time reported...any critical apps like launcher in this category of NOT running since boot means is an indication your memory is squeezed to the point of killing critical services) and possibly improve things.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah, widgets kinda need to stay resident. Usually not much productive that can be done about that.

What is this "auto memory manager" app? Do you have link...we are usually skeptical of those things similar to auto task killers...see sticky at top of forum.

I'm also of the opinion that memory management is worth discussing. What are your concerns that lead you to memory manager and are you rooted? There may be certain limited things that can be done to check your memory (developer options...process stats) and possibly improve things.
The link is

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lim.android.automemman

Auto Memory Manager is an app that contols the android's built in task killer to free more memory. Due my phone was slow I increased the memory left that must see android to start killing apps to too high value of 500MB like it was the phone was snappy without at first i installed apps. That is why android is killing the widget. But I have put it to exception list. I'm rooted. I'm also looking for other apps like this that have exception list also.

Upvote 0
I'll assume you've investigated enough to conclude that RAM is likely causing your slowdowns.

My recommendation:

1 - Get rid of your Auto Memory Manager App. Unininstall it and don't install any more like it. I'm sure most people would back me up on this. Here's why:
http://androidforums.com/threads/pu...k-killers-ram-optimizers-and-the-like.896663/

2 - Look at what apps are perpetually showing in "running services" based on reviewing settings / manage apps / running services and also developer options / process stats. These are the apps that are grabbing high priority memory (maybe for good reason, maybe not). See which of these apps you can live without. Then uninstall user apps in this category that you can live without. Consider freezing (TiBu) system apps in this category but also understand that needs to be looked at carefully for each system app before you freeze it.

2A - By the way apps that show up only in cached processes (not running services) are costing you nothing. Leave them alone.​

3 - Search MinFree manager, there may be a careful tweak you can try out if you still are having problems

4 - If there is specific app that is causing you trouble by being killed, you can promote it to always resident using app settings module in xposed. That doesn't get to the root cause (if you have too many running services you need to focus on #2 for the root cause) and doesn't help the system as a whole but it will help performance of those specific apps that you promote. For me I have experienced the system killing of Google MyTracks and Navfree (old version)... this seriously disrupted the function of the apps (MyTracks lost track of my run and started a new run at time 0.... NavFree just lost track and had to recalculate route) so I promoted them to always resident and it helped. By the way some apps will ask you (in settings) to place a persistent notification in the notification bar to help keep them resident (Tasker, Swipepad, maybe notification toggle). You can promote them to "always resident" and it'll accomplish roughly the same thing without having to keep the notification present (cleans up your notification area)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'll assume you've investigated enough to conclude that RAM is likely causing your slowdowns.

My recommendation:

1 - Get rid of your Auto Memory Manager App. Unininstall it and don't install any more like it. I'm sure most people would back me up on this. Here's why:
http://androidforums.com/threads/pu...k-killers-ram-optimizers-and-the-like.896663/

2 - Look at what apps are perpetually showing in "running services" based on reviewing settings / manage apps / running services and also developer options / process stats. These are the apps that are grabbing high priority memory (maybe for good reason, maybe not). See which of these apps you can live without. Then uninstall user apps in this category that you can live without. Consider freezing (TiBu) system apps in this category but also understand that needs to be looked at carefully for each system app before you freeze it.

2A - By the way apps that show up only in cached processes (not running services) are costing you nothing. Leave them alone.​

3 - Search MinFree manager, there may be a careful tweak you can try out if you still are having problems

4 - If there is specific app that is causing you trouble by being killed, you can promote it to always resident using app settings module in xposed. That doesn't get to the root cause (if you have too many running services you need to focus on #2 for the root cause) and doesn't help the system as a whole but it will help performance of those specific apps that you promote. For me I have experienced the system killing of Google MyTracks and Navfree (old version)... this seriously disrupted the function of the apps (MyTracks lost track of my run and started a new run at time 0.... NavFree just lost track and had to recalculate route) so I promoted them to always resident and it helped. By the way some apps will ask you (in settings) to place a persistent notification in the notification bar to help keep them resident (Tasker, Swipepad, maybe notification toggle). You can promote them to "always resident" and it'll accomplish roughly the same thing without having to keep the notification present (cleans up your notification area)
I also have Minfree Manager but resets the values from 500MB back to default (50 MB). What should I do?
Also Auto Memory Manager is not a regular task manager but increases the aggressiveness of the task killer of
Android. I don't have apps like Facebook to exception but I let it been killed and android restarts it when needed and this freed more memory and removed slowdown.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones