• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Auto update application without user interraction

adyrotaru

Lurker
Jan 24, 2014
I am developing a kiosk-like application.
This means an app that constantly plays videos from a playlist. The app does much more than that but this is what makes my app a bit "special":

- no user interraction is needed to start, it autostarts when the device boots up
- no user interraction is needed once it started and this interraction is even forbidden in fact (workers should not touch it at all)
- the app should should run 24/24, 7/7

From time to time, I need to update the app so basically I need a an updating process that:
- starts no matter if the app is running or not (solved).
- once the update is started doesn't require any user interraction
- after update the app autostarts it automatically (this is solved).

I published my app on Google Play but it won't update a running application, at least I couldn't make it work event with Autoupdate enabled (the new update notification appears but it won't start unless the app stops for an undefined period of time).

Basically I cannot avoid the user interraction even if no new permissions are required. Google Play can silently install the app if no new permission is required. This would be fantastic for me but Google Play won't update a running app.

I know that a system application can do anything, but I need credentials from the manufacturer and so on... so, it seems a dead end for me.

Any other ideas?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones