• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

AVG reporting Malware in settings app!

I'm not a fan of AVG on PCs or Android. If I did use an anti-virus product I'd use Avast. I have it on my one remaining Windows install, and it's always been reliable and unobtrusive., I did have the Android version on my old Allwinner tablet, but that died a while back, and I don't feel the need for such products on Androidr.

Upvote 0
Alien Droid, just wondering why you would want to load a new Settings app and not use the stock one. The settings app has a lot of permissions with it and hence that could be why the flag from AVG because it detected two.
Hi ndex477
No I didn't load or try to load a 2nd Settings app, it came rooted and apparently has a non stock ROM going on AVG have said.
I might verify that myself at some point but I feel I've spent a lot of time for nothing so far so I'm hesitant to spend any more looking into it.

Just to clarify, AVG didn't flag a problem for 2 weeks, and as far as I can tell the ROM build is at least as old Jan this year.
I done several updates that worked fine, but 2 weeks in one update then reported Settings app as malware.
Then AVG admitted after about 6 days it was a false positive, but then this took another 2 weeks to resolve and then I was told because it was a non verified version of the .apk
But they told me 6 days in before getting my log file it was a false positive, so you work that one out!!!

Upvote 0
I'm not a fan of AVG on PCs or Android. If I did use an anti-virus product I'd use Avast. I have it on my one remaining Windows install, and it's always been reliable and unobtrusive., I did have the Android version on my old Allwinner tablet, but that died a while back, and I don't feel the need for such products on Androidr.
Hi Davdi
I think for me it's more of a comfort blanket but as long as it doesn't slow down the device too much then I'd rather have it on there than nothing at all. I always try and run 2 side by side, but of course they must not clash. MalwareBytes is running also with no serious slowing as far as I can tell.

Upvote 0
Sorry, missed the part about the custom ROM. Just for the record, rooting and sometimes non-stock ROMs make use of exploit code in order to adjust certain normal "household functions" of the kernel and AV(Anti-Virus) software usually flags this as a threat each time it encounters it. Another thing, make sure that the ROM builds on your devices are stable. To sum it up i wouldn't really worry too much unless you start noticing serious changes like problems at boot time, device freeze ups etc.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones