• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Backing up contacts on SG2

Money_Mark

Oct 23, 2011
Nor. Cal
I recently lost all my contacts on my GS2, and had deleted Outlook (making Kies useless to me). Luckily, my old contacts were still on my old iPhone, so I manually entered them back onto my GS2 (all 63 of them:mad:).

Needing a way to back up my contacts, I decided to merge them with my Google account. I did this wirelessly on my GS2 by going Contacts/Menu/Merge with Google. Within 5 seconds, all of my contacts started appearing on my laptop (on my gmail page). AWESOME!

My question is, If I delete a contact on my phone, will it automatically delete it from my Google account? Remember, my whole purpose for merging with my Google account was for back-up purposes.

Thanks for your help.

Mark

So I did a test and created a dummy contact on my phone, which then showed up on my google acct on my laptop. I proceeded to delete the dummy contact on my phone, and after 1-minute it deleted on my laptop. So while auto-syncing my contacts to google is great, it is still not the answer I am looking for.

How can I back-up my contacts on my phone?

Upvote 0
Mark,

When you sign into your google account on your computer and go to contacts there is an option to restore your contacts up to 30 days. So if you delete all your contacts today you could restore them. Also there is an option to export all your contacts which would allow you to manually back them up (you would of course have to do this anytime you add/subtract someone). But it seems that restore feature would be what you are looking for (at least for 30 days).

MH

Reactions: Money_Mark
Upvote 0
I use Kies and sync my phone with OutLook every week. Being synced with OutLook can get me back up and running no matter what as I can sync my iPhone, Blackberry or SG2 with OutLook. I also do a backup with Kies.

I know people complain about Kies but if you keep it upgraded to the latest version, it has worked VERY well for me. Samsung could sink some more money in it but it basically works.

Upvote 0
I use Kies and sync my phone with OutLook every week. Being synced with OutLook can get me back up and running no matter what as I can sync my iPhone, Blackberry or SG2 with OutLook. I also do a backup with Kies.

I know people complain about Kies but if you keep it upgraded to the latest version, it has worked VERY well for me. Samsung could sink some more money in it but it basically works.

From the first sentence of my original post:
"I recently lost all my contacts on my GS2, and had deleted Outlook (making Kies useless to me)."

Upvote 0
So I did a test and created a dummy contact on my phone, which then showed up on my google acct on my laptop. I proceeded to delete the dummy contact on my phone, and after 1-minute it deleted on my laptop. So while auto-syncing my contacts to google is great, it is still not the answer I am looking for.

How can I back-up my contacts on my phone?

In addition to also using Google to sync my contacts I also use iDriveLite.
iPhone Backup for Contacts - now with BlackBerry and Android phone Contacts backup

Upvote 0
I also find the Google/Android Contacts to be a major PITA. I am coming from BlackBerry and my contacts were 100% perfectly organized, with each and every item in its specific field.
When I first got the S2 I tried to use Kies, but quickly realized that the fields in Kies do not match those of Outlook. I managed somehow to download from Outlook to the S2, but got messed up big time later on with Sync, merge and the rest of Android's 'amazing' issues in regards to contacts & Google.

My main issue, as I mentioned, is that I like the Outlook format in regards to order and fields. I am also not 100% sure I trust online back-up sources...you never know who they are and who else have access to my contacts.

Bottom line - I too am still waiting for the perfect Android Contact solution ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones