• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

backing up contacts...why would anyone store contact on the sim or phone?

ditkent

Jul 12, 2010
Wouldn't the best thing to do when you enter and store a new number would be to just create the contact under your google gmail? that way theres always a copy of all your contacts online?

I'm fairly new to the desire so an I missing something, why would anyone want to save to the phone or sim as provided in the options when you save a new contact.

what would be the best way to backup your contact if you saved it via sim or phone?

any info would much appreciated.
thanks

I'm fairly new to the desire so an I missing something, why would anyone want to save to the phone or sim as provided in the options when you save a new contact.

what would be the best way to backup your contact if you saved it via sim or phone?

Some people don't want Google knowing their private business, including their contacts. Further, unless you jump through some elaborate hoops there's a dreadful flaw in Google contact pictures: Do you really want a poor resolution photo of your contact popping up on your screen when someone calls you, even though the original photo was high resolution. SIM contacts are next to useless due to the small amount of metadata that they can handle. For these reasons, I only have phone contacts.

The People widget has an option to backup contacts to the SD card (as a VCF file). From there, copy it to a PC.

Reactions: ditkent
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones