• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Backspace deletes entire word

KathrynK

Lurker
Aug 14, 2012
My phone recently did an update, and now the backspace button deletes an entire word instead of one letter.

I recall having this same issue when I first got this phone, and I thought I found a solution on these forums, but I can't find anything when I do a search. I believe it was a language/input setting, but nothing I try seems to work.

Any ideas? FYI, I have the same issue with both the Swype keyboard and the Samsung keyboard.

Thanks!

There are two things you may want to try:

First, in Settings, Input and Control, Language and Input. Tap the Gear Icon to the right of the Samsung Keyboard. Try turning off Predictive Text or Auto Replacement. I believe these features include the backspace/delete "feature".

Second, while typing, you'll see the suggested word. As you said a backspace will delete the word. Tap the spacebar first before you back space. That will "accept" the word and the backspace will then work as expected.

Hope this works.

Reactions: Lordvincent 90
Upvote 0
My phone recently did an update, and now the backspace button deletes an entire word instead of one letter.

I recall having this same issue when I first got this phone, and I thought I found a solution on these forums, but I can't find anything when I do a search. I believe it was a language/input setting, but nothing I try seems to work.

Any ideas? FYI, I have the same issue with both the Swype keyboard and the Samsung keyboard.

Thanks!
I agree this is an annoying feature. The time wasted having to re-type deleted words outways the time saved by deleting entire words. It happens so fast its difficult to control.

Upvote 0
There are two things you may want to try:

First, in Settings, Input and Control, Language and Input. Tap the Gear Icon to the right of the Samsung Keyboard. Try turning off Predictive Text or Auto Replacement. I believe these features include the backspace/delete "feature".

Second, while typing, you'll see the suggested word. As you said a backspace will delete the word. Tap the spacebar first before you back space. That will "accept" the word and the backspace will then work as expected.

Hope this works.
OMG, your answer is 7 years old, but I'm really thankful to you because by switching predictive text off I was able to solve my problem, similiar to the one mentioned above

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones