• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Backup and Restore to new Device (non rooted)

charliecc

Android Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2011
I'm considering getting a Nexus 4, however I'd like to know if there's a way to do a backup of my GNex (JB) and restore to the new device (a bit like the iPhone). That's the only iPhone feature I envy.

Note, I am not rooted.

Is there a decent app out there that will mean I will get almost everything across in the correct state with minimal effort? i.e. SMSs, call log etc, but most importantly, app data. I don't want to have to do get all 3 stars in all Bad Piggies levels again ;)

I'm quite happy to copy my videos and photos on again, obviously contacts and calendar will sync straight from Google, but I really want to keep my app data. I'm presuming the standard google backup doesn't backup app data.

Not a very user friendly solution for the average Joe from Google there. A full restore to a new device would be nice, even if this was just limited to Nexus devices.

I know it doesn't seem optimal, but there is a reason for it. When you restore an app with data it can cause problems, even if you restore it to the same model of phone.

For example, when I restore apps like ESPN Score Center, USAA, etc that send push notifications, the notifications stop working after a restore. The app thinks that they are set up, but they don't work. I think there would be more problems than just notifications when changing phone models.

So there is some complaints about data not transferring, but I think there would be a lot more complaints if data did transfer and then the apps quit working.

Upvote 0
I don't know, I would think there's a way to restore settings to a new phone. I like the fact that your apps repopulate, but it would be nice if everything does. This is the one feature of the iPhone that I would love to have the most. As I'm rooted, it doesn't matter so much, but it's a feature that's being missed for sure.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones