• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] Backup carrier's recovery before flashing CWM

I'm trying to backup my entire 1st generation Moto G before doing anything like rooting or flashing CWM or CyanogenMod. From googling, it should be possible by booting from CWM without flashing it. I've had no success:

> $ fastboot.exe boot recovery-clockwork-6.0.4.7-falcon.img
> downloading 'boot.img'...
> OKAY [ 0.300s]
> booting...
> OKAY [ 0.240s]
> finished. total time: 0.540s

I unlocked the bootloader and tried the above with fastboot and mfastboot, from a CMD prompt in an account with Administrator privileges, and invoked with As Administrator. All that happened was that the device rebooted as normal. Not that for this to work, I had to copy all the DLL files from XDA's adb/fastboot folder tree into the directory with the CWM image.

Given that this doesn't work, is there any other way to backup the carrier-provided recovery before flashing CWM? Or can CWM be flashed to the devices (and booted) without clobbering the carrier's recovery? I don't mean the OS, I mean the recovery itself. Thanks.

Last edited:

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones