• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Backup Xiaomi and recovery files

Pitek

Lurker
Aug 5, 2023
Hello,

Sorry, I'm using google translate.
I would like to try to recover some lost information from my phone. I read that it's best to make an image of the phone, and then throw this image into some recovery program.

My question is whether it is possible to make such an image without root, and if so, with what program?

Maybe someone will tell me - is a chance to recover at least scraps of deleted calls and text messages

I'm afraid that you'll find all sorts of claims on the web, some of which are wildly out of date, and some of which are plain wrong.

In principle what's described there could work, if you could take a full image of the storage device (including space that isn't allocated in the file table, i.e. where your deleted data still exist). But there are two problems with that:

The lesser problem is that I don't see how that would be possible without root, because that's asking for very low-level access to the device. And of course you need somewhere to write it: you can't write it to the same device you are taking an image of, and you won't be able to use the normal file transfer mode because that uses Media Transfer Protocol, which won't give you that low-level access. Maybe there's a way of doing it using USB debugging, but I don't know of a command that would do this myself.

However, that's the lesser problem. The more fundamental one is that your storage is encrypted, so any image would be as well. But the encryption key is in a separate secure store on the phone, so your file recovery program will be left dealing with an image of an encrypted volume with no information about how to decrypt it.

Basically I think this idea might have worked around the time of Android 4 (before encryption became standard), and would have been fine for Android 2 (when the storage would mount on a computer just like a flash drive), but I'm not at all optimistic now.

Upvote 0
Obawiam się, że w sieci znajdziesz wszelkiego rodzaju twierdzenia, z których niektóre są szalenie nieaktualne, a niektóre są po prostu błędne.

Zasadniczo to, co tam opisano, mogłoby zadziałać, gdybyś mógł zrobić pełny obraz urządzenia pamięci masowej (w tym miejsca, które nie jest przydzielone w tabeli plików, tj. Tam, gdzie nadal istnieją usunięte dane). Ale są z tym dwa problemy:

Mniejszy problem polega na tym, że nie widzę, jak byłoby to możliwe bez rootowania, ponieważ wymaga to dostępu do urządzenia na bardzo niskim poziomie. I oczywiście musisz gdzieś to zapisać: nie możesz zapisać tego na tym samym urządzeniu, na którym robisz zdjęcie, i nie będziesz mógł użyć normalnego trybu przesyłania plików, ponieważ korzysta on z protokołu Media Transfer Protocol, który wygrał nie daje ci tak niskiego poziomu dostępu. Może jest sposób na zrobienie tego za pomocą debugowania USB, ale nie znam polecenia, które by to zrobiło.

To jednak mniejszy problem. Bardziej fundamentalne jest to, że twoje miejsce do przechowywania jest zaszyfrowane, więc każdy obraz również byłby zaszyfrowany. Ale klucz szyfrowania znajduje się w oddzielnym bezpiecznym magazynie w telefonie, więc program do odzyskiwania plików będzie miał do czynienia z obrazem zaszyfrowanego woluminu bez informacji o tym, jak go odszyfrować.

Zasadniczo myślę, że ten pomysł mógł działać w czasach Androida 4 (zanim szyfrowanie stało się standardem) i byłby w porządku dla Androida 2 (kiedy pamięć byłaby montowana na komputerze tak jak dysk flash), ale nie jestem już w ogóle optymistycznie.
Thank you for your time. I'll log in later from my computer and give you a thumbs up too. So nothing can be done? With root and diskdigger also not?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dziękuję za Twój czas. Zaloguję się później z mojego komputera i też dam ci kciuk w górę. Więc nic nie da się zrobić? Z rootem i diskdiggerem też nie?
this is an english only site.

here is google translastion:
Thank you for your time. I'll log in later from my computer and give you a thumbs up too. So nothing can be done? With root and diskdigger also not?

there is a nandroid backup which is a complete backup of your phone. however, you need root and a custom recovery. most root methods will erase data so that is not an option. you might be s.o.l.(sh!t....out....of luck)

Last edited:
Reactions: Dannydet and Hadron
Upvote 0
Hey there!

Absolutely, trying to create an image of your phone is a smart move before diving into any recovery efforts. This way, you keep the original data as untouched as possible, increasing your chances of getting those deleted bits back.

Regarding your question about doing this without root access, yes, it's possible, though it might be a bit more limited compared to having full root privileges. For Android phones, tools like ADB (Android Debug Bridge) can help you create a backup of your phone’s data without needing to root it. ADB allows you to interface with your device more directly from a computer, and with the right commands, you can pull a lot of data off the phone. However, it might not be as comprehensive as a full image you’d get with root access.

For creating an image, you can use ADB to execute a command like adb backup -apk -shared -all -f /path/to/backup.ab on your computer with your phone connected. This will create a backup file (.ab) you can then use with data recovery programs. Keep in mind, the success of recovering deleted calls and messages depends heavily on how the phone has been used since the data was deleted. If new data has been written over the areas where the old data was stored, recovery might be challenging.

As for recovery programs, there are several out there, but it’s crucial to choose one that’s reputable and preferably recommended by tech experts. Some programs are designed to work with the backup files created by tools like ADB.

Lastly, if the information is super crucial, you might also consider consulting with a professional data recovery service. They often have more powerful tools and techniques at their disposal for retrieving lost data. I've had a personal experience with SALVAGEDATA that was pretty positive. I reached out to them a while back when I accidentally wiped an entire drive on my laptop – we're talking about years of work and personal memories that I thought were gone for good. They were able to recover nearly everything, which was a huge relief. They specialize in all kinds of data recovery services, so they might be able to help with your phone data, too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones