• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"Bare Metal" Backup Samsung or other *.X.*/Device/Android Version

Mar 16, 2012
(for the Non-Techies)-see way down below the fold for what "Bare Metal" refers to.

Question, Since Samsung (whatever type) most popular, figured I'd post with Samsung (I have S3) Of course this is a more wide open question. ---Yes Googled ;) (only find adware pages).

Is there a "Bare Metal" backup solution for Android Phones? *OR* a way to kinda bundle one together? (Essentially the Android OS, a.la. "Ghost" type imagine, in case of catastrophic failure (and/or just wanna "go back")

Yes, I know all the Flashes,etc to "roll back". :eek:

However, like my home CPU, I use Ghost for Catastrophic Stuff and CPP for hourly archiving. (or by minute if I'm working on something Important)

Yet to find an "out of box" for this on Android. (I'm assuming because like when CPU's maxed at 8GB drives, a Consumer Backup was unheard of-well because was $1+ per GB vs. $.001 today! (*wise as grin*)

Of course DropSync other popular (mass consumer friendly), won't allow to see Phone deep system OS stuff (probably wise ) :D

--but for more technically astute (?).Way to Ghost like Image *ENTIRE* Phone?

Thanks!

Non-Geeks/n00bs--skip way down "below the fold" for "Bare Metal" explanation if you so desire. (it's very different than "backup" and much more important type for "catastrophic" failures.

BARE METAL EXPLAINED (Hope you learn something new).
-Actually for a "n00b" this is kinda important as people throw around "Backup" --as if it's "Bare Metal" and it's not the same.
*ALSO* Backing up the "Backup" to the same device you're trying to protect-*NO NO* (Why? Well see below! ;0 )

What's Bare Metal Backup v.s. (Kies/other "Backup" type Apps,etc.?)
"Bare metal" backup refers to a form of backup that is a 100% duplicate Imagine of the way your device looks at the *EXACT* moment you create the image.

You might have heard of "Ghost"-The value to this type backup is that as you've customized everything to your liking on your phone. In a Catastrophic Failure you can revert to the *EXACT* "Image" of what you had previously.

VS-"reinstall the OS" (essentially what a re-flash does-a.la. "Factory Reset").

Example:
I use both Ghost and CrashPlan Plus. Ghost is my local "Bare Metal".
CPP is my Archiving (correct term)-we'll argue verbiage in the lounge :)

*BOTH* are important (as CPP does not offer "Bare Metal")

Thus CPP gives me archived access to files I might think "Ah, need that back" can go back "forever" to go get it. I save files "forever". Why CPP ROCKS. They never delete an Archive.

"BareMetal" takes you back to the day you made the IMAGE.

ie. You do a bare metal 1st of every month---Jan 1-do your IMAGE -Jan 29th catastrophic failure.*D'OH*

"At least" you can go back in time to Jan 1st (everything from post Image to 29th is gone forever--UNLESS "archiving". With the Archiving (daily/by minute,etc.)-can use CPP to get that back.

The "VALUE" to a consumer for "Bare Metal" is that the Image you created, is "up to date"/takes you back to what *YOU* customized to your liking.
Desktop/OS Tweaks/etc.etc.etc.

Thus (using CPU/Windows example) no need to "rebuild" your CPU, put all the Windows Updates back on,etc.etc. Just revert to the image. VIOLA! You're back to what you're use to.

A BACKUP IS NOT ALWAYS A BACKUP
Why "Kies" (other Backups/Backup Apps) are *NOT* the same.

Kies for example allows you to back up what 95% of what people care about. (Contacts/Bookmarks and Photos,etc.).

Once that is created, MAKE POSITIVELY SURE Copy over to DropBox (other cloud solution)-and you're safe.

Non-technies, using Kies (local) and DropBox (cloud) would be perfect combo.

IMPORTANT *CRITICAL* F.Y.I. THOSE USING Android App Solutions you've found

SO LONG AS YOU CAN SYNC IT TO DROP BOX("Cloud"/Gmail/etc.) *THIS IS VITAL!* WHY? Creating Backups (on a device that you're trying to "Protect"--is not wise/OR "USEFUL"

Yes/Yes, SD card helps. Even on an SD card (Toilet anyone?) ;)--by all means DO IT to an SD Card, but don't consider it "Critical" solution/consider it the "Ah Man, didn't mean to delete that contact--solution. ("Restore file-not phone).

Perfect Example-Friend had her Iphone Stolen. In addition to "that sucks" part of the experience, her *LARGEST DISTRESS* (agree) was losing all the pictures she had taken. Never backed any of that up.

Proper Backing Up.
Like any good techie (and everyone else)

THE VERY LEAST, you should have 2-Backup Solutions.
(ideally an "onsite" (ie. External to your CPU) and "offsite" (Cloud).
"Mission Critical" is very least 3-backups

--"Soccer Moms"/Dads might consider "Mission Critical" Pics of the Kids (I get it)-like friend above.

Thus:
1-"Local" (usually an external USB Drive)-*LACIE DRIVES ROCK*
2-"Cloud" (ie. Dropbox/CPP/dozens others)
3-Burn to DVD,etc. (DVD life expectation is 10-years)
3a-Also "USB Stick" (FYI -good practice is *NOT* leave it in computer-Only insert when backing up new photos,etc.

-----Also VITAL anything "local" make sure it's put somewhere no one can FUBAR it. (including yourself :) )
--Protective Casing/"out of reach" of Dog,Cat,Hamster, Squirrel and "SPAWN"

Hope you learned something new. My personal goal daily is to learn something new/laugh out loud at least once-before putting my head on my pillow--and love to share the "Love" ;-)

The closest I know is the infamous "nandroid backup", beloved of the rooting community, which requires a custom recovery. This backs up ROM, boot, apps & data (not media etc on SD) as a set of image files, usually on local storage (SD card), but you can copy them elsewhere. I normally make mine directly to a USB stick, since my main device supports USB OTG.

Of course that does require modifying the phone's software (replacing the recovery module), and is normally done as part of rooting the phone. I don't know of any way of doing something like this on a stock, unmodified phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones