• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Battery charge indicator?

DroidRick

Android Enthusiast
Aug 21, 2010
Canada
When I charge using the power adapter, there is no visual indicator that I can see on my SGS that tells me the unit has been fully charged (or even partially charged).

Am I missing something here?

I have to turn on the unit and see what's going on.
Even then I don't know where the charge is at.

It will either show the battery is being charged, period, or it will say your battery is fully charged, unplug from adapter.

Surely there has to be more than this?
Do you need to keep turning the unit on to check if it's fully charged?

TIA

When I charge using the power adapter, there is no visual indicator that I can see on my SGS that tells me the unit has been fully charged (or even partially charged).

Am I missing something here?

I have to turn on the unit and see what's going on.
Even then I don't know where the charge is at.

It will either show the battery is being charged, period, or it will say your battery is fully charged, unplug from adapter.

Surely there has to be more than this?
Do you need to keep turning the unit on to check if it's fully charged?

TIA
Yes, this is quite annoying and is down the the lack of any notification LED on the Galaxy S.

What I have done is to first install BatteryMinder (you can either get the free version or the paid Pro, I went for the Pro).

What BatteryMinder does is place a coloured small icon in your notification bar ~ It shows a figure which is the percentage and a colour ~ i.e. 94 white text in green background.

With this installed what you now do is when charging leave your phone switched on (you most probably want to anyway so that you can receive cvalls/SMS/Emails etc) and periodically just hit the middle button on the Galaxy S.
This will cause the screen to come on in the locked state and switch off again automatically after 5 seconds.
Anyway, whilst it's switched on simply look at your notification bar (no need to touch the screen or drag it down) and you will see straight away the percentage level your charge is at.

Once the charge is complete you should hear the notification sound to inform you to unplug your Galaxy S from the charger.

Hope this has helped......

Reactions: Natwolf
Upvote 0
Sir,
If you turn off your Galaxy and then plug in your power supply, you will see an outline of a battery in green and when fully charged a sign saying 100% charged will appear.
Ron

So you are saying that I shouldn't leave my SGS powered on when I charge?

I am supposed to power it off first, then plug it in to charge?
When I do that I will see an indicator on-screen, that will stay on all the time until the unit is fully charged, and will tell me how the charging is coming along (what percentage has been charged etc.)?

Will I have to keep hitting a button to see the progress?

TIA

Upvote 0
So you are saying that I shouldn't leave my SGS powered on when I charge?

I am supposed to power it off first, then plug it in to charge?
When I do that I will see an indicator on-screen, that will stay on all the time until the unit is fully charged, and will tell me how the charging is coming along (what percentage has been charged etc.)?

Will I have to keep hitting a button to see the progress?

TIA
I am bewildered why you totally ignored my reply... especially after I went to some length to give you an alternative... a better one at that.

No, if you power off the phone not only will you not be able to receive any phone calls, SMS messages, emails, etc. but it won't show you the battery strength either.

You will still have to hit the middle button to wake up the screen and even then it won't show you the percentage in how far your charge has gone.

Using my method gave you all the features of having the phone left switched on AND told you exactly in percentage at what level the charge was at.

Upvote 0
I am bewildered why you totally ignored my reply... especially after I went to some length to give you an alternative... a better one at that.

No, if you power off the phone not only will you not be able to receive any phone calls, SMS messages, emails, etc. but it won't show you the battery strength either.

You will still have to hit the middle button to wake up the screen and even then it won't show you the percentage in how far your charge has gone.

Using my method gave you all the features of having the phone left switched on AND told you exactly in percentage at what level the charge was at.

Beards I wasn't ignoring you, just going for the simpler solution.
I always try to install as few apps as possible on my machines.

If I read your posts correctly, even with the software you are recommending, you still have to hit a button every time you want to check on the charging status.

OK I just did a power off test.

I see the green power indicator that comes up.
The problem here is that the screen turns off after a few seconds, so you also have to hit the middle button to see where the charge is at.

At least, this way you can see a visual indication of how much more charging is required.

BTW, I unplugged the power adapter when I thought it was fully charged.
Is there supposed to be a little bit of black next to the green, when it is fully charged? Or does it actually say fully charged in addition to the image?

TIA

Upvote 0
Beards I wasn't ignoring you, just going for the simpler solution.
I always try to install as few apps as possible on my machines.

If I read your posts correctly, even with the software you are recommending, you still have to hit a button every time you want to check on the charging status.

OK I just did a power off test.

I see the green power indicator that comes up.
The problem here is that the screen turns off after a few seconds, so you also have to hit the middle button to see where the charge is at.

At least, this way you can see a visual indication of how much more charging is required.

BTW, I unplugged the power adapter when I thought it was fully charged.
Is there supposed to be a little bit of black next to the green, when it is fully charged? Or does it actually say fully charged in addition to the image?

TIA
Using the power off method the only time you will know
when charging is complete is when the phone alerts you by an audible sound.
Throughout charging you will have no indication how long you have to wait because apart from the green progress bar there is no percentage or expected time til complete.

Upvote 0

Thanks, and also for your latest post.
One thing I forgot to mention is that I am a one in a thousand or even less user. I keep my phone in Flight mode 99% of the time.
I've had my phone for a month now and haven't made or received a single call.

So it's not an issue for me to power off to charge.

Upvote 0
Thanks, and also for your latest post.
One thing I forgot to mention is that I am a one in a thousand or even less user. I keep my phone in Flight mode 99% of the time.
I've had my phone for a month now and haven't made or received a single call.

So it's not an issue for me to power off to charge.
That's no problem.... we each have our own ways of using our phone's.
Just don't forget that whilst your phone is in Airplane mode it can't get on to the Internet to update what Apps you have installed. A lot of installed Apps require a regular internet service to keep themselves up to date... i.e. The Market app will periodically check to see if any of your installed apps have updates, etc.

Upvote 0
Have you got no friends? :p

What do you use it for?

Good question.
It's my first cellphone.
I don't really have a need for the phone part of it (strictly emergency).

I will use it 99%+ of the time for Wifi and PDA type stuff (I'm coming from a Toshiba e830).

Reasons for not needing/wanting a phone: I view them as dog leashes + the EMF's give me a real buzz in the head when I turn off flight mode.

I bought this particular model because it was advertised as having a very low SAR rating, 0.325 W/kg US, but I can still feel pressure in my temples.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones