• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery draining when appointment alarm

Hello,

On my Samsung Galaxy Tab tablet, I've got a battery draining issue. Actually, it always works flawlessly, BUT when an alarm due to an appointment launches (because of a programmed appointment in my calendar), the tablet seems to consume its battery until it gets at 5%. Anyway, the result I encounter is that, any time an appointment was programmed, I find my tablet 1 day after with 5% remaining battery. I always put it in silent mode, so I don't hear anything when the alarm is present. But is this normal, or is it a bug?

NB: android 4.2.2 on Samsung GT-P5110 (Galaxy Tab 10.1).

Thanks.

You mean that if some blinking led option is activated, the device will be awake. It seems possible, but how can the battery drain so fast if the screen is turned off? I mean even if it is awake (with screen turned off), how can it be so fast? Or do you mean that being awake = also screen turned on?

Where can I find that option? Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0
I can't seem to tell the amount of time you're referring to. But what EM seems to be saying is that if you have a notification going, that can wake lock your device. And, if your device is wake locked, the battery can drain down due to processor usage, even if the screen isn't on. Does your device get warm during these periods of battery drain?

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Exactly.

Normally when using your device the screen uses the most power and when the screen is off, it goes to sleep.

Problems arise when it's forced awake with the screen off and the power draw is dramatic

GSam Battery Monitor can show you power drop vs awake (active) or screen on.

Examples -

1424027251628.jpg

1424027289558.jpg

But start with notifications, it's the likely suspect.

Reactions: electricpete
Upvote 0
I don't know if it gets warm, yes I think so. I notice it too late, and it has probably the time to cool down.

Thanks for the tip. Now I just need to figure out where I can modify this locking alarm setting. Do you have any idea where it would normally be?
Look under the app settings first.

You can usually turn it off altogether for an app by main settings, Apps, All and uncheck the notification box when you select the app (that may vary from model to model).

Upvote 0
Thanks for your help.

In the calendar/agenda, it was set to "Notification in status bar", and not "alert". Therefore, isn't it strange that when I open the tablet and that the situation has occurred, that it shows me some kind of agenda alert with an X at the left, a V at the right, and for which I need to move the finger to the right to see that I've seen the event alert? I've put to "disable" the notification in the agenda.

Note that this parameter was found in the settings of this particular app. In the general settings, I've found absolutely no possibility to modify the way notifications happen.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones