• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Battery drains completely if used while plugged in

I have had my Samsung Galaxy tab 3 10 inch for 8 months. It acts like the 5 year old Ipad did before I replaced it with the Tab. My biggest frustration is the battery. I have had it in for repairs once, when it was not charging at all. They replaced my battery, refreshed my tab and sent me on my way. Battery life seems marginally improved, however, if I plug in my wall charger ( I only use the charger and cable supplied) and continue to use it while it's plugged in, it won't charge at all. My battery has drained 4% while typing this post. Charging symbol is on, it just drains faster than it charges. if I take it in for repairs two more times, they will replace my tablet. My question is, is it a problem that can be fixed with repairs or replacement, or is it just a shitty feature inherent in all Samsung batteries?

Reactions: Camity
Have you looked under Settings>Battery to see if anything unexpected is draining your battery? Have you turned off Google Now?

Even 3 hours seems low. I have a Tab 2 7" and after 3-4 hours of watching YouTube I will have 40-50% left.
My dad uses a Tab 4 10" and he's been blowing through tv series that are 40-70 eps long and he hasn't mentioned any battery problems.

Upvote 0
Hey guys. Just wanted to drop in and make a reply.

I have an S6 and Yesterday after I got it last month, its been draining when plugged in. Weird. I have changed a different charger. I even noticed because I had it plugged in all night while I slept only to wake up to it being at 57%

I read somewhere that its probably the charger. But I will take it to cricket today and let them fumble with it. I do have insurance so Ill see what they can do

Upvote 0
I have had my Samsung Galaxy tab 3 10 inch for 8 months. It acts like the 5 year old Ipad did before I replaced it with the Tab. My biggest frustration is the battery. I have had it in for repairs once, when it was not charging at all. They replaced my battery, refreshed my tab and sent me on my way. Battery life seems marginally improved, however, if I plug in my wall charger ( I only use the charger and cable supplied) and continue to use it while it's plugged in, it won't charge at all. My battery has drained 4% while typing this post. Charging symbol is on, it just drains faster than it charges. if I take it in for repairs two more times, they will replace my tablet. My question is, is it a problem that can be fixed with repairs or replacement, or is it just a shitty feature inherent in all Samsung batteries?
My Samsung does the same thing. Drains while plugged in and in use, and takes forever to charge, and I've use the factory chargers and purchased so-called even better ones. I've sent it in twice. Seems to be a Factory Samsung problem. I don't know what else to do! Suggestions please?

Upvote 0
Guys it's pretty simple! Galaxy Chargers' Wires are quite bad and you need to change them every now and then. It's used to happen to me so, I was struck by the thought of changing the wire .. it worked! The battery started charging normally! Hope that helps you

Upvote 0
Guys it's pretty simple! Galaxy Chargers' Wires are quite bad and you need to change them every now and then. It's used to happen to me so, I was struck by the thought of changing the wire .. it worked! The battery started charging normally! Hope that helps you

I know this is an older post but I want to say this is exactly what worked for me. My Galaxy Tab 2 (9.7") all of a sudden started draining while plugged in (whether I was using it or not). I had to turn it off to get it to start charging and it would take a full day of non-use to charge. I got Ampere and the better "GSam Battery Monitor Pro" to check out what was happening and I noticed that while plugged in and turned on it was actually draining at a rate of around 340 mA. I looked around furiously for a solution because GSam is stuck at calculating and I think I need root to see apps that are doing Wake Locks (which isn't the problem here) and I stumbled onto this post. I immediately changed to the cable that came with my old HTC phone (very sturdy thing) and I went from a drain of 340 mA to a charge of 1140 mA. It has been varying a little but since I've been typing this my tablet has gained 3% battery back and I've left it on (still monitoring GSam).

Just to clarify, I'm still using the Samsung wall plug but I switched from the flimsy white wire that came with it to my old HTC phone's wire.

Cheers!

Upvote 0
I have this issue even after root. I have 3c toolbox recording it.... I'm using an Alcatel fierce... Charger didn't get hot... Or heated up. I've took my phone outside and cool off... Considering it's 18° outside... Plugged in outside.... Brought it in the discharge was still as fast. Closed down all open apps... It's like after 3c toolbox was opened and I began recording, the faster battery discharge quit? Nows it's recharging at about a percent every 3 minutes rate...
Linux OS, such as Android is very well known to wreak havoc on battery...
Oddly, I didn't do much for finally gain a greater charge than discharge.
This greater discharge has been bothering the crop out of me these last month. I guess as far as I'm understanding it, is don't allow your phones to drop lower than 30%...
Of course this fierce has a large 5.5 screen, and internal guts comprised of the many generations ago 28nm technology. SD 810 is based on 16 nm? 820, 821 on the 14 nm. I will search the ends of this earth to figure out this battery consumption, discharges...
As far as everyone else, turn your phone off, plug it in a fully charged portable charger and throw it in the freezer for about 15 minutes.
I know we all enjoy using our cellphones... Forget waiting until 30% charge before use right? I'm up to date on all the existing smartphone technologies... I'm now exploring Linux.. Android version of Linux. Considering vr, AR, glasses are now going to be affordable... Competing with Android devices in pricing, the need for efficient battery consumption is increasingly becoming more demanding...

Upvote 0

I agree, 230mA charge with Samsung cable and Samsung charger, 1500mA charge with Tesco Micro USB Sync and Charge Cable (£6) and Samsung Charger

Reactions: psionandy
Upvote 0
I've a same problem, and when I play fallout shelter for several days and my battery is 100%, it magically drains to 41% of battery when I when I disconnect my charger, restart my tablet and connect the charger again.
Model: Vodafone Smart Tab 2
Regards: Modiken Silvia Mapeka
Screenshot below

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171005-111039.png
    Screenshot_20171005-111039.png
    32.9 KB · Views: 547
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones