• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery improvement after Jan. 11 update?

-=Jeff=-

Android Expert
Jan 2, 2010
Bartlett, IL
My Eris, just updated on Monday for the lock up from sleep

Anyway, I am a low user of the phone and keep, wifi, Mobile data off unless I am using it

I have noticed the last 2 days the battery life is improved..

yesterday, phone on at 6am off at 11pm, 65% left, no data used, few Txt messages and about 45 min of phone calls

Today so far, on at 6am, WIFI, Mobile data off, one 6min call and one txt, at 9am, still 100% battery..

turned Mobile Data on at 9am now it is 11:50am and battery is still 100%

my on time is 5:45, awake time is 8 min (2%)

this is typical for me..

I don't have email set to push, I refresh when I want it.

I also use Advanced Task Manager..

So maybe the issue that was fixed was also causing a battery drain and is fixed now?

I'm also a minimal user of the phone's goodies and I agree. Since the last update (Sunday night for me) the battery seems to be lasting longer. Well, to be more specific, the green bars seem to be lasting longer. I don't know if the battery really lasts longer because I didn't do any controlled testing but it appears to be lasting longer.

Upvote 0
Normally (before the most recent updated, Monday AM for me) the Eris' battery would last a little over a day, with light usage. Since the update, I have had light usage still and today my phone is at 71% with about an hour left until it's been 24 hours since my last full charge. There has been no charging between then and now, and I still have almost 3/4 of the battery left! That to me means I only need to charge it like once every 2 days or so. Which means my battery life has doubled! Thats great for all Eris uses (p.s. I do have Advanced Task Manager and use it everytime I am done with using a particualr app).

Upvote 0
Geesh, I'm jealous. I just got mine yesterday, charged it up over night, activated it this morning around 7am, and the battery died by 3pm. I'm still trying to figure out how to get my awake time down...the tip about changing my message manager to fix it hasn't worked yet. I'm always up around 70% or higher on my awake time.

Upvote 0
I got the update last week and haven't noticed much of a difference, myself. I don't text much, surf much or talk too much during the day but mine seems to die very quickly. Usually in the morning from 6am it lasts till about 4pm.

Question? I'd like to hear how everyone goes about charging. Do you leave it on the charger all night while off? Or while on? Or just charge till it's full then take it off the power source and turn it off for the night? Just curious how much it kills the battery if it's left charging all night, or if I'm better turning it off at night instead.

Upvote 0
I leave my mobile on all the time unless I know I'm in a very low signal area (which would destroy your battery life within minutes). I rarely use the Wifi or GPS, so I leave those off unless I need them.

Yeah, I don't use the GPS, but I do use the WiFi at home. I know at work though, my signal strength is horrible, so maybe that's what's doing it? I'm thinking that might be it, because I just got a new phone last week after my original one's battery heated up a ton and then wouldn't last a couple hours on a full charge. So I know it's not the battery or phone. It must be my signal strength.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I don't use the GPS, but I do use the WiFi at home. I know at work though, my signal strength is horrible, so maybe that's what's doing it? I'm thinking that might be it, because I just got a new phone last week after my original one's battery heated up a ton and then wouldn't last a couple hours on a full charge. So I know it's not the battery or phone. It must be my signal strength.

I know for sure it's the signal strength. My battery will last two days with mobile network on if I'm at home with good signal. If I go visit a friend, where I fluctuate between 0 and 1 bar, I will lose about 15% each hour. If I shut my mobile network off, then I don't have any problems. I can still text and carry on phone calls without a problem with the same signal strength.

I've found this to be one of the biggest flaws in the Eris.

Upvote 0
I know for sure it's the signal strength. My battery will last two days with mobile network on if I'm at home with good signal. If I go visit a friend, where I fluctuate between 0 and 1 bar, I will lose about 15% each hour. If I shut my mobile network off, then I don't have any problems. I can still text and carry on phone calls without a problem with the same signal strength.

I've found this to be one of the biggest flaws in the Eris.

This is helping out a lot, thanks!

So what exactly does the Mobile network do then, that is, if you can still make calls and text?

If I don't have a good signal, like at work, I should just turn it off then correct?

Upvote 0
This is helping out a lot, thanks!

So what exactly does the Mobile network do then, that is, if you can still make calls and text?

If I don't have a good signal, like at work, I should just turn it off then correct?

Mobile Network allows you to use data. You can surf the web and get your emails delivered. Some apps require data as well.

If I know I'm in a poor service area or in a building with poor signal strength, I will shut off my mobile network and just leave my phone on.

However, if you don't have any service at all, you may want to use Airplane Mode. With this option, not only will you lose the data capabilities, but your phone and texts won't work either.

Upvote 0
Mobile Network allows you to use data. You can surf the web and get your emails delivered. Some apps require data as well.

If I know I'm in a poor service area or in a building with poor signal strength, I will shut off my mobile network and just leave my phone on.

However, if you don't have any service at all, you may want to use Airplane Mode. With this option, not only will you lose the data capabilities, but your phone and texts won't work either.

Thanks for the explanation! I don't feel as "dumb" now! LOL!

Although, I just messed with some of my network settings and now 3G/1G isn't showing beside my signal strength. I wonder what I did!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the explanation! I don't feel as "dumb" now! LOL!

Although, I just messed with some of my network settings and now 3G/1G isn't showing beside my signal strength. I wonder what I did!

I set up toggles on a home screen for easy access to turning these functions on and off.

Long press on a home screen --> HTC Widgets --> Settings --> Mobile Network

I have one for GPS, Wifi, & Airplane mode as well.

Have fun playing and experimenting!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones