• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Battery life on Tegra 2?

thenew3

Android Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2010
CA
I don't see any mention of battery life in regards to Tegra 2 based phones/tablets.

A friend of mine who is an engineer for a major manufacturer of smartphones/tablets (both android and windows) says all of their tegra 2 prototypes have had horrible battery life, even when on 3G networks.

He said the combination of 4G LTE and Tegra 2 (or any existing dual core) equals either a very large battery, or a very short useful life.

I've seen those prototypes with my own eyes and (some of the same ones that went to CES this week) and indeed, tegra 2 is fast, but the battery sure drains quickly.

I have a Gtablet with Tegra 2 and the battery life is far better than expected and I have 2300 to 2500 Quadrant scores. The chipset does not have to work as hard as a single core.

The battery lasts LONGER on my Gtablet than my Incredible, but the Gtablet is not running 3G, so not apples to apples.

Upvote 0
The Atrix and Droid Bionic both have a 1930 mAh battery. That's a monster battery. To compare the iPhone 4 has a 1420 mAh battery and it lasts me all day with heavy use. Also the specs say you can get 7 hours of talk time on the iPhone 4 on 3G and 9 hours on the Atrix. I couldn't find the talk time for the Bionic. Both Tegra 2 phones have huge batteries.

Upvote 0
The Atrix and Droid Bionic both have a 1930 mAh battery. That's a monster battery. To compare the iPhone 4 has a 1420 mAh battery and it lasts me all day with heavy use. Also the specs say you can get 7 hours of talk time on the iPhone 4 on 3G and 9 hours on the Atrix. I couldn't find the talk time for the Bionic. Both Tegra 2 phones have huge batteries.

Which is why the phone looks a bit "fat".

Upvote 0
I know many people that read 13.3mm and think that is not think but when you compare it to the droid x at 9.9 that makes it 35% thicker making it huge.

LOL - 3.4mm is a little more than 1/8". I'd love to increase the battery capacity of my Incredible by 50% for a mere 1/8". Huge is the hunchback on these phones when you buy an extended battery.

Upvote 0
Dual core phones actually will use LESS battery power overall, but we have to see how optimized the 4G network stuff will be. If you're in a location where it keeps switching between 3g/4g like some phones had similar issues with 2g/3g then the battery drain could suck.

The phone does have something like a 1930 mAh battery though...so I'd expect for Motorola's flagship device they wouldn't have it be horrible on battery life..it should be Droid X comparable, which was Droid comparable as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones