• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Hey Guys,
I've been switching around smartphones for months now. I went from 3 BlackBerrys to an iPhone 4, and now playing with the Droid Eris. I noticed the battery life isn't that great. I don't have many apps on it. I did install the handcent sms and decided to use that as my texting app - didn't see a lot of good reviews for the original app that the Eris has.

Perhaps anyone has any suggestions? Thanks so much for your help!

~Dave

Email: David@Generation-Host.com

Hey Guys,
I've been switching around smartphones for months now. I went from 3 BlackBerrys to an iPhone 4, and now playing with the Droid Eris. I noticed the battery life isn't that great. I don't have many apps on it. I did install the handcent sms and decided to use that as my texting app - didn't see a lot of good reviews for the original app that the Eris has.

Perhaps anyone has any suggestions? Thanks so much for your help!

~Dave

Email: David@Generation-Host.com

Check how often you have things like the weather widget and facebook syncing. Facebook especially drains the battery. That being said, the Eris' battery isn't the greatest, especially if it is an old one. My battery is about 2 years old and is barely making it through my time at school. A year ago, it would easily last all day.

You can also try rooting and underclocking the processor when it's not in use.

Upvote 0
The email app as well can be a drain, as it cannot support push mail delivery - only polling, and I believe that it is set to 15 minutes polls by default. In any case, it has a bug that consumes storage space with no way to retrieve it without a factory reset, so if the gmail app is not your primary mail method, I suggest the free K9 mail app from the market.

You can still buy replacement batteries for the Eris. I replaced mine in May and saw a big improvement.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones