• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help battery not charging properly

hi all

i'm using a standard Desire running launcher pro, and leave the phone to fully charge overnight. every morning my battery indicator reads 'Full', but then drops to usually 93% within minutes.

This morning i literally unplugged the phone while it was displaying a full battery, replied to one text i'd received overnight, and the battery was then showing 91%.

Previous experience suggests that once the battery is fully charged, the charger will automatically shut off, so even if you then use the phone while it is still plugged in it'll still run the battery down. Is that usual? Could that mean that the phone takes a couple of hours to charge fully, the charger shuts off, then through the rest of the night is slowly loses 7% charge while on standby? If so, why the 'full' reading on the battery indicator?

anyone experinence something similar?

You are correct, the phone will stop charging at 100%, then start again when the charge drops below a threshold (90% or 85%, I think).
This is to protect the Li Polymer battery, they tend to explode if over-charged.

I think the quirk you mention - which I've seen as well - is just that, a quirk of the software. Once the charging is switched off, it probably doesn't update again that quickly.

If it bothers you, you could try turning the charger off-and-on in the morning to kick-start it again, it should only take 20mins or so to top up to 100%.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones