• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Battery or motherboard problem? Yellow triangle with exclamation mark !

prashantkd

Lurker
Aug 24, 2012
Hi,

I am very new to the Android world. Got a SGH-i777 from AT&T in US in February 2012 and had to move back to India in June. I got the unlock code from AT&T and used the device for 2 months without issues here on the local network.

Yesterday, the phone showed me a critically low battery message all of a sudden (I had fully charged it the night before) and turned off. When connected to the charger, I get the image of the battery with a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in it.

Thinking it may be a battery issue, I took it to a local Samsung repair center and he tried using a working battery in it, but still got the same image. He suggested that it may be a motherboard isssue.

Please help !!! I am still in the AT&T contract. Any chance they will honor a replacement at this point?

I tried a long continuous charge and got a battery 100% charge indication, but when I try to power up the phone the same thing happens and the phone doesnt power on.

An update:

When I connect the phone to my laptop and after a few minutes of charging, I get a 100% charge indication and a message to unplug the charger cable. When I do so, the charge percentage suddenly drops down to 78% and stays that way noo matter how long I use my phone.

When I plug the charger to a wall, the charge percent stays at 78% even after 3-4 hours of charge.

THe phone works now, but I am worried that because of this incorrect charge percentage showing up, the phone should not die on me when I need it the most.

Any ideas??

Upvote 0
An update:

When I connect the phone to my laptop and after a few minutes of charging, I get a 100% charge indication and a message to unplug the charger cable. When I do so, the charge percentage suddenly drops down to 78% and stays that way noo matter how long I use my phone.

When I plug the charger to a wall, the charge percent stays at 78% even after 3-4 hours of charge.

THe phone works now, but I am worried that because of this incorrect charge percentage showing up, the phone should not die on me when I need it the most.

Any ideas??

It sounds like a bad battery. Can you take it to the store, explain the situation and ask to pop a different battery into the phone to see if it solves your problem?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones