• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help battery question

lcolien

Jun 27, 2011
My phone seems to be running through battery like crazy lately. at 5:15 i uplugged it, at 5:58 am I had 90%, at 7:08 am i had 74%. Does that seem normal? I am in a 4G area, and sent about 12 texts in that time period. Nothing else was running according to task manager. I do have my screen brightness up, but the screen would have been dark during most of that time

That sounds about normal to me for this thing. You could try keeping your screen brightness down to the lowest level. Then keep your wifi or data off depending on where you are. You should get something manageable, but if you really depend on this thing, you need to have a car charger to supplement things and plan on charging every night of course at home. That's why this thing is called the Charge... didn't you know? (internal document)

Upvote 0
My phone has done that from day 1--the whole reason I would never get another. I bought the extended battery which helped but makes the phone huge and keeping it plugged in most of the time is difficult for a frequent traveller. I have noticed some improvement after installing juice defender but then have issues with being unable to re-connect when I need to...all in all, I will look more closely at battery time next time I buy.

Upvote 0
W_A_Watson_II -- That is funny you would say your battery life got bad around mid-November... that is when I noticed mine was really boss hoggin' the battery too. I wonder if there was a change with the VZW network that is causing it?

I carry two batteries all the time now, have a charger at work and one in the car... usually I can keep mine going without switching batteries but switching to 3G helps immensely!

For example, 30% or more time between charges.

Upvote 0
The comment that "4G burns through battery" is inaccurate. What burns your battery isn't 4G vs. 3G but rather how strong the signal is. If you're in a fringe 4G area then your battery life will be lower than someone like me who is in a very strong 4G area. Similarly, if you're in a fringe 3G area you're likely to have battery life issues.

Honestly I do not see the purpose of owning a 4G phone if you don't live in a 4G service area.

Upvote 0
My battery life has drastically reduced since the upgrade to GB. My phone was off of the charger for less than an hour this morning and the battery life was already down to 72%! I checked the battery usage and the Android OS was by far the app that was killing the battery. Definitely was not like this before the OS upgrade. Any thoughts out there??

edit...I completely shut off the device. seems to have fixed the issue. this power cycle is in addition to the reboot after the update.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones