• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

mratlndmrk

Aug 20, 2010
I will be ordering a new Captivate this week and had a question about moving contacts from my Blackberry Bold to the Captivate. I do not sync with outlook so my contacts are only on my phone (and sim). Has anyone gone this route and do the contacts pull over cleanly by just copying them via sim oir is there a better way? I know in the past when I've copied my contacts from phone to phone they always seem to come over a little wonky.

Thanks

I will be ordering a new Captivate this week and had a question about moving contacts from my Blackberry Bold to the Captivate. I do not sync with outlook so my contacts are only on my phone (and sim). Has anyone gone this route and do the contacts pull over cleanly by just copying them via sim oir is there a better way? I know in the past when I've copied my contacts from phone to phone they always seem to come over a little wonky.

Thanks

I dont know if this is the right way or most efficient way when i transferred contacts over i did it via google contacts and everything came out pretty well.

Upvote 0

Thanks

Have AT&T do this for you when you purchase the phone. That's what I did.
edit: I saw you wrote ordering. In any case just find your local AT&T store after it arrives in the mail.

Upvote 0
Just set up a google account, download the sync app for your blackberry and sync everything. That's how I did it. Everything went seamlessly. Just signed into my google account on my captivate and everything was there.

Thanks for that tip. I just loaded the sync program on my BB and it worked the nuts. Looks like the info should come down nicely into the Captivate. Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Go get Mobile Migrate from Sprite Software:
Sprite Mobile - Transfer Windows Mobile, Blackberry and Symbian data to Android

I haven't used it for blackberry but it used it when going from Windows Mobile to Android. It's a pretty nice (*free*) program. You load the software on your old phone, it exports all of the data you care about (contacts, sms, email, calendar, etc), then you load the software on your PC, open the file and tell it to convert to android, then you load the software on your android phone and it imports it all back in nice and clean. It sounds a little cumbersome but it's an easy process and they walk you through it.

Converting via google contacts can work for contacts themselves but it can also do weird things, like loading all of your gmail contacts (people you've emailed) into the phone along with just your old phone contacts, and i've also had issues trying to get pictures back for "Gmail contacts" and ended up converting them to a VCF and then reimporting them back in as regular phone contacts.

Reactions: mratlndmrk
Upvote 0
If you download Google Sync onto your BB, you can sync your contacts with your Gmail account (you do have one, don't you?). After that, Android can be easily told to grab your contacts from there.

However, a fair warning: If you use gmail regularly, you have many email addresses saved into your contacts already, and these will come down in addition to the contacts you upload. I use Gmail exclusively, so I spent an hour or two clearing out my contacts after I synced.

That being said, once its all said and done, just turn off sync and you won't have to do that again. Otherwise it will add all new email addresses you get mail from automatically.

Good luck with the Captivate, I'm sure you will like it considerably more than BB. I know I'm never going back...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones