• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Be careful with geotagging, here's how to remove a tag

Andrewdroid

Sep 28, 2010
Gotham
I hope everyone knows about the dangers in accidentally giving out your location by sharing a photo with a geo-tag embedded. If you don't know about this, read about the MythBusters guy in the NY Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/12/technology/personaltech/12basics.html

Anyway, sometimes you take a shot and forget that geo-tagging was enabled. It's even easier to do this now with 2.2, because for some idiotic reason the geotag setting in the Camera app is GONE.

Anyway, this app I found can strip out the geo-tag from a shot that has already been tagged. And it can do this on your phone. That way you can share it without worry.

Remove Photo Geotagging Info With Geo Eraser | AndroGeoid

Reactions: Frisco
While this can be a legitimate concern, I'm not sure how much it matters considering how terrible the GPS is on most of our phones. I'd be more concerned with all the Twitter and Facebook messages people make. Unlike only knowing the Lat/Long of where someone lives, with Facebook not only can you find out when someone won't be home, but also for exactly how long they'll be gone.

Facebook Status Leads to an Instant Burglary - Told Ya So - Associated Content from Yahoo! - associatedcontent.com

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones