• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Before You Buy]- Want to ROOT a Samsung device..Well stay away from newer Samsung Phones

D

Deleted User

Today I want to put a huge notice about users wanting to root new Samsung Devices

So a year ago I bought the Samsung Galaxy S7 here's the specs:

RAM: 4GB

Storage: 32GB

CPU: Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 3.16GHz

GPU: Qualcomm Andreno 530

Bootloader Status: *LOCKED*

Root Status: Unrooted

Now we all love the specs yes, but be careful what you buy because unlike other companies Samsung used to allow rooting because on T-Mobile they made more money then any other carrier and the only reason why, is because Samsung Phones coming from tmobile had the bootloaders already unlocked for you, this made it easier for dev's and hackers out there and gave motivation to invest their time into adding LineageOS or CyanogenMod to those devices.

Now if you look at my device and other new Samsung phones it is impossible to unlock the bootloader as before Samsung didnt lock their bootloaders so their was no need to make a work around to root or unlock the bootloader.

Not only they locked Samsung devices bootloaders on all carriers, custom rom makers, kernel revs and the root community dipped out finding a way to unlock the bootloader leaving Samsung to die slowly as a company.

Now I love Samsung they build very good phones, but I hate using my phone if I don't have control of what apps I want and what apps I dont want, and that OS I want.

So before you go out a buy another Samsung phone hoping to have a community that have found a root method, dont buy one buy an older device before the s6.

I'll give you perfect examples why it's a bad Idea to get a new Samsung phone if your looking into wanting to root it.

The S7 was released in March 2016 with positive reception, however its 2019 and still the US versions of the S7 has still not found a way to unlock the bootloader on all variants of the S7 leaving the community in the dark and leaving the S7 as a boring, slow, and abandoned device that will never see root or a higher android version custom rom beyond Android 8.0.0 Oreo ever. This leads to understand why if your planning to root get a older Samsung device, however in attempt to unlock the bootloader I have installed all adb drivers etc and i tried these commands
fastboot oem unlock
&
fastboot flashing unlock
and neither one works this has to be something with the Qualcomm security placed in the bootloader. Not only you cant root or unlock the bootloader you can no longer downgrade via Odin as it just gives you errors everytime.

Now this shouldn't apply to you if your buying the phone just to not root it, but ifmts safer to say if your wanting to root any Samsung device, DO RESEARCH before you buy an ensure theirs a strong android dev community for your variant because you'll be spending a lot of money on a device you cant root at all or unlock the bootloader!

Last edited by a moderator:
i agree with you. i used to root my phones. but since i bought a note 4 and have progressed to the note 8, i saw no reason to root my phone. with the newer samsung phones, i see no reason to root (at least for me). they are fast and very reliable and customizable. If i ever get the need to root I will probably get something that comes from Google....like the pixel phone. If rumors are correct, the new pixel 4 might get some much needed hardware upgrade and might be worthy of having a look at by me.

i will probably never get a samsung phone for rooting purposes. i think the main point is to just do your research on any phone, especially if you are planning on rooting it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This may be unfortunate for those who really still want to root, but I agree that the newer phones allow us to do things that used to require root. I previously had rooted every phone I owned back to my old Optimus-M on 2.3, through my S5 on 4.4.2. After updating the S5 to 6.0 I lost root and wasn't able to get it back easily so I gave up and did without it. Just recently I finally retired the S5 and got an S9, for the first time I had no intention of rooting it from day one.
There are a few things I miss not having root like Titanium Backup, but other stuff is mostly a non-issue. Many pre-installed apps can be disabled or uninstalled without root and there's enough storage available so freeing up space isn't an issue any more. One of my primary reasons for rooting, ad-blocking, is handled quite nicely by Blokada which I've found to work as well as AdAway.
Additionally some banking and payment apps may not work on a rooted device which is a problem for those who use them.
So personally I'm not regretting my S9 purchase because of its non-rootability although others might feel differently.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones