• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Just got Bell update, now camera doesn't work, says : media scanner running...then shuts off camera. Anyone know
what the hell this is about?

Did you do a hard wipe after the install? Maybe that might clear it up. I have Rogers and the ICS update has been great so far. I haven't experienced any problems with it. I'm now confident in restoring my personal data/apps on it. Hopefully there won't be any hiccups.

Upvote 0
Yes, do a factory reset on the device. This should eliminate any old system files that might still be present that may gum up the install.

To perform a hard reset, data wipe, android system recovery:

1) Press and hold the Vol+/- buttons
2) Press and hold the power button

When the Samsung logo appears, release the power button; but continue to hold the Vol+/- buttons for at least 8 seconds.

It should bring you into a menu with:
reboot system
apply update from SD
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition

Use the Vol+/- to highlight your selection, then press the power button to select it.

Wipe data/factory reset will wipe everything off the phone including the cache. When done select reboot system. That should hopefully fix things.

As a general rule, I usually do a factory reset/data wipe on my phone through the recovery prior to an update. Perform the update, then do another factory reset/data wipe. This should allow for a very clean install of the update and minimize chances of conflicts with old residual system files.

When restoring data, make sure you do not restore any system data as that can mess up the update.

Edit: I've attached a copy of the manual. It can be found on page 10.

Attachments

• i717_UG_ENG_D4.pdf
    7.5 MB · Views: 260
Reactions: Bigalain
Upvote 0
Bell update is nothing like the leaks that i have used. The premium package isn't included, but you can download it via the Samsung app. I guess that they wanted to conserve the GB look and feel so that customers wouldn't feel too lost. The upgrade seems to be nice and smooth and i have yet to see any lags. For those that are having problems, just have a look at the previous post and he explains how do a clean install. So far all is running flawlessly, but i have to admit that i am a bit upset that the premium pack wasn't included as a standard.
Either way i will play with it for a bit and see how things go. Hope that everyone enjoys the upgrade to IS

Upvote 0
How did you try to format the SD card? Did you use a microSD to SD card adapter? Did you check to see that the tab on the adapter was not locked (ie. puts card in read only mode)? Just throwing out some suggestions. Hate to see a good card go to waste.

I am assuming you pulled the card out while the Note was on hence the problem. However, if you completely powered it off prior to that, it should not have 'harmed' the card. In which case it could be defective.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the useful information. I think the problem was that I did not unmount my sd card , just removed it. Did not know this. My card is done I think, can't even reformat it on my pc... How stupid of me. :(

Tried another card no more message. Live and learn...darn that was a 16 g card...

contact the manufacturer and claim a defected sd card, these cards are usually lifetime warranty.

bummer...16gb is a nice card to have in any phone

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones