• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best 3.5mm audio cable with remote/mic for Headphones

PetiePal

Android Expert
Nov 17, 2009
Long-time Android owner (since OG Droid!), and I'm up to the Galaxy Note 4 after having the Note 2 and 3. I love this phone so far after 2 weeks it's literally the best Android phone I have ever owned in terms of usability, snappiness and most definitely battery life. I work in NYC now and commute from NJ and one of the best things is being able to listen to music, podcasts, watch videos and read all in a compact form without having to drag a tablet with me.

I own a pair of Audiotechnica Sound-Canceling headphones that are invaluable during my train and subway commute. However they sadly did not come with the audio cable with mic built in that they were supposed to. (I didn't realize until 2 years later when I needed that!) I recently purchased the Beats cable but found out after testing it out that it was specifically designed for the iPhone in terms of the Mic and volume functions, so it only works for audio, play/pause/skip. I sometimes require the need to take phone calls from my smartphone while on the go so I've been looking for a good replacement.

-Should have all audio functions
-Mic for phonecalls
-Rugged/not flimsy
-Compatible with Android phones
-Must be 3.5mm to 3.5mm audio so it works with these headphones.

Can anyone recommend a reputable item or brand?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Long-time Android owner (since OG Droid!), and I'm up to the Galaxy Note 4 after having the Note 2 and 3. I love this phone so far after 2 weeks it's literally the best Android phone I have ever owned in terms of usability, snappiness and most definitely battery life. I work in NYC now and commute from NJ and one of the best things is being able to listen to music, podcasts, watch videos and read all in a compact form without having to drag a tablet with me.

I own a pair of Audiotechnica Sound-Canceling headphones that are invaluable during my train and subway commute. However they sadly did not come with the audio cable with mic built in that they were supposed to. (I didn't realize until 2 years later when I needed that!) I recently purchased the Beats cable but found out after testing it out that it was specifically designed for the iPhone in terms of the Mic and volume functions, so it only works for audio, play/pause/skip. I sometimes require the need to take phone calls from my smartphone while on the go so I've been looking for a good replacement.

-Should have all audio functions
-Mic for phonecalls
-Rugged/not flimsy
-Compatible with Android phones
-Must be 3.5mm to 3.5mm audio so it works with these headphones.

Can anyone recommend a reputable item or brand?

Hey! did you find anything??

Upvote 0
Yes luckily I did. I tested a bunch and these are the ones I went with:

I hate Beats by Dre but the red cables are solid, don't crimp or tangle and are solid. Also come in Android and iOS version. Have mic for phonecalls.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OIAYTUA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

This Sennheiser set is also solid. 2cd choice pick.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OUKG3NE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

This VModa set was also nice and had a mic built in like the Beats.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MYTRGES?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones