• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Android Media Player Double Twist

WOOT I got the HTC media player working perfectly :) every album art works great.

Here's what I did:

Used MediaMonkey to tag everything up and I can never remember what song is in what album, so my Tags are set like this:

Songname, Artist, Album Artist, Album

Songname = Song Title
Artist = Artist
Album Artist = Artist
Album = Artist

So basically the albums are listed as artist name, as then I know what song should be in there.

I then used MediaMonkey to sync to my device at the root of the sd card. Once sync is completed, I then go into my sd card using windows explorer, and move all the song I just put on the card into the folder called mp3.

now when i open HTC Music Player or DoubleTwist or Cubed, all albums listed under Artists names and every track has its own Art.

I'll keep running tests like restarts and adding tracks, but seems to work properly now.

Upvote 0
To delete on the stock player if playing a song, hit the rightmost key next to skip track . This will take u to ur current playing list , whether playing all songs artist or genre. Pick Ur track to delete and leave it pressed down, then a delete option will come out.

I tried the double twist but could not get the album art on the lock screen. Any way to do this? At least the stock player does this (it may take a while for all the art to show up, but eventually it does).

Upvote 0
To delete on the stock player if playing a song, hit the rightmost key next to skip track . This will take u to ur current playing list , whether playing all songs artist or genre. Pick Ur track to delete and leave it pressed down, then a delete option will come out.

I tried the double twist but could not get the album art on the lock screen. Any way to do this? At least the stock player does this (it may take a while for all the art to show up, but eventually it does).

The stock player is weird. I added some CD's yesterday and didn't even put any JPG files in the folder for album art and two of the 8 showed up. I don't get it.

Upvote 0
This is supposed to work with Double Twists's desktop app. doubletwist.com to download it it syncs with iTunes and WMP. Desktop app shows album art. I do'nt have my incredible yet so I can't say that the album art transfers.

Seems to take forever to sync with iTunes, it can't quickly detect changes. Then again, I have almost 3000 songs so that could be part of it.

Upvote 0
Mine synced pretty quickly with about 2k songs as well. The problem I have with it is that it doesn't detect the internal memory yet. (Same with Cubed)

I got it to sync on to the internal drive by ejecting the SD card in windows explorer, but the app on the phone just doesn't detect it yet. :(

Sucks cause I don't have a larger SD card to use atm.

Upvote 0
download astro file manager from the marketplace. using that app you can select songs to delete. there is no way (that i know of) to delete a song from the music player

You CAN delete from the HTC music player. Just click the musical note icon in the lower left corner. This will open the list of songs currently playing. Long press the song you want to delete and then select DELETE. Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
Is double twist supposed to rotate to landscape when the phone is turned? I just installed it and it doesn't for me. About the only thing I don't like about the stock HTC player on my Incredible is the fact that, when the phone is turned sideways, the music player is still in portrait mode. Very frustrating.

Upvote 0
I need help with this (or stock or ANY media player).

I have a lot of CD's on my card. I don't like every song, so whenever I had mine playing on "shuffle" and don't like a song, I was able to hit a "delete" option on my Storm and it would delete it off of my SD card and move on to the next song.

I can't find a "delete" option anywhere! Will you young people help out an old woman? ;)

You can do this with the Meridian media player. When the song is playing, tap menu, then tap More, then delete.

Upvote 0
I gave it a shot, but navigation is terribly jumpy and slow compared to the stock player.

On top of that it's pretty unbearable to wait while the PC client scans iTunes for 30 minutes just to conclude that I've added two songs since the last scan--often followed by syncing my entire 10 Gb library to my Droid over the next 10 hours instead of just adding the two new songs.

MediaMonkey works a heck of a lot faster, if you can tolerate it not automagically mirroring your iTunes. Plus it actually lets you pick where your music goes, etc.

Upvote 0
I gave it a shot, but navigation is terribly jumpy and slow compared to the stock player.

On top of that it's pretty unbearable to wait while the PC client scans iTunes for 30 minutes just to conclude that I've added two songs since the last scan--often followed by syncing my entire 10 Gb library to my Droid over the next 10 hours instead of just adding the two new songs.

MediaMonkey works a heck of a lot faster, if you can tolerate it not automagically mirroring your iTunes. Plus it actually lets you pick where your music goes, etc.

Hey, I've been using MediaMonkey as well, but I can't figure out how to see the files on my DI, in MM. Also, I'd like to have my DI music uploaded to my work computer (music came from my home computer). I know I can drag and drop manually, but MM should do this itself somehow.

Upvote 0
So whats the best player out there, look, feel and reliability wise? also one that works with album art properly and goes quite loud...

I found one out there called ^3 or cubed. It's hard to find because of the name, but it works great and gets the album art. I think the developers name is Abrantes if that's easier to find. I'm really liking this app over the others.

Upvote 0
When in shuffle mode (party shuffle, and I'm using the Moto Droid with default music app), it isn't all that random - seems to pick the same albums/songs too frequently.
And when I turn off shuffle, I'm not sure what song it goes to next because it still seems random.

I have over 200 folders that are cd's. Then I have a few hundred mp'3 that I didn't rip and they're in various folders or whatever. But when not in shuffle mode I'd think it would go to the next track on the album (if it is playing a song from an album's folder) - but it doesn't. And if it is going alphabetically, I wonder what it is using to dermine that? (actual file name? one of the mp3 tags?).

My radio broke and I've been using my Moto Droid in the car (it is a spare phone that isn't active, so I just leave it plugged in, and in the car). But the random is starting to annoy me - and so is the hassle of playing another song from a currently playing album (remember, I'm driving and don't have the luxury of clicking all over the place - I leave the music player onscreen and the phone is in a mount, so I am safe as using any other radio without steering wheel controls).

I don't mean to hijack or go off topic - it is just that this stuff is on my mind and you guys seem like people who might have some insight or a tip or two for me. :D

EDIT: oh, i've tried that cube app - I remember liking it for something. It is a weird name, I'll find what it is to search for

Upvote 0
chart
There's the qr code for the 3 (cubed) music app.

Upvote 0
I just tried that "cubed" music app. I'm really liking that. There is a shuffle button right on the player, and it works. And if I turn off shuffle and hit "next", it goes to the next song in that album/folder. Also, I can leave it on "shuffle" but just swipe up/down on the album art and it shows you the next/previous songs on that album (or folder), so you can go directly to one of those songs without even having to leave shuffle mode!!!!
... I'm loving these "normal" features - this may save me from crashing into someone because I'm trying to fumble with a music app while driving.

Upvote 0
this program has been all wonky when trying to use with my mac. it doesnt tell me which is the internal memory and which is sd card, and wont let me rename, it wont load my playlist correctly when i didnt figure out which is which....pretty dissapointed right now...anyone else using this with inc and mac w/ itunes?

I've tried it with my mac and am having the same issues. On top of that, it only seems to sync about 75% of the songs that it's supposed to sync, so I've given up on it and am still looking for something that can even come close to capabilities and reliability of iTunes. I didn't realize how much I was taking iTunes for granted. Almost regretting switching from iPhone now...

Upvote 0
Wow, was reading the thread to figure out how to do this, came to this one, and realized as you described what you did for us, I still had no idea what was going on. Maybe I need to request a thread that contains explanations of all the words and phrases used...and yeah, you may have figured it out, but I am an old man....like the old woman above, need all the help I can get. Thanks for the solution, I have copied it, now I just have to figure out what it says. ( and I am chuckling to myself)

Upvote 0
I tried asking this in support, but despite a good chunk of views, no replies:

So I got the app on my phone, and also the program on my computer. I transfered all the files I wanted from itunes to doubletwist and now want to get that music onto my phone.

I went to the FAQ and the first thing it says is, "hook up your phone or device to your computer and wait a few seconds for it to show up inside doubleTwist"

I connected the phone and it doesn't show up. Do I mount as disk drive? HTC Sync? I tried both and it still didn't connect. I feel like this has been answered before but searched for all kinds of terms to find the answer and nothing came up

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones