• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Backup/Transition to X

MaxxVE

Apr 7, 2010
Michigan
So as many of us are probably coming from either the droid, incredible, or some other android device I was wondering what apps you plan on using to make the transition easy.

Personally I'll be switching from an Incredible and I've started the search for good free or paid backup apps.

So far I've found Lookout which is a security and backup app but I'm not convinced.

Please share any apps that you've used and how well they've worked.

Thanks!

Oh for sure. I'm almost positive that if your going from one android phone to another that most of your apps (at the very least your paid apps) will still be in the market under downloads as long as you use the same gmail account to set them up.

I guess I automatically assumed you would be going from one android phone to another. Never even accured to me to ask what you will backing up from.

Upvote 0
I am going from one Android phone to another.. but it's my first switch.

When I used to have Windows mobile it was a big hassle to find the right program and get the right data backed up. From what it sounds like the android experience is much better. I'm definitely looking forward to getting the X.

Upvote 0
I don't know why appbrain wouldn't get me to 90% of where I was when I switch from Dinc to X.

I use Touchdown for email and it allows me to backup my settings to SDCard, so that should be easy.

I'll have to re-log into many services (i.e. pandora, last.fm, etc), re-log into websites to get my cookies back, but neither of that is a big deal.

I'll probably lose my saved game and high score status, but I don't really care about that.

Do any of these options back up those settings as well?

What about for K9 mail? If I do the backup app in astro, does it just keep the .apk or does it actually keep all of my settings and such?

INFINITELY easier than switching phones than when I had WinMo. Would have taken me half a day's work to switch WinMo phones and get things back to the way they were beforehand.

I'm still curious about the comment someone said up above about saving program settings to the Google cloud. That's not true, is it? If so, how does it work?

Upvote 0
I don't know why appbrain wouldn't get me to 90% of where I was when I switch from Dinc to X.

I use Touchdown for email and it allows me to backup my settings to SDCard, so that should be easy.

I'll have to re-log into many services (i.e. pandora, last.fm, etc), re-log into websites to get my cookies back, but neither of that is a big deal.

I'll probably lose my saved game and high score status, but I don't really care about that.

Do any of these options back up those settings as well?

What about for K9 mail? If I do the backup app in astro, does it just keep the .apk or does it actually keep all of my settings and such?

INFINITELY easier than switching phones than when I had WinMo. Would have taken me half a day's work to switch WinMo phones and get things back to the way they were beforehand.

I'm still curious about the comment someone said up above about saving program settings to the Google cloud. That's not true, is it? If so, how does it work?

I thought the cloud backup was coming with 2.2. could be wrong but I seem to have read that somewhere. It sounded real nice as it would do a complete backup and restore to your new phone just like it was your old phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones