Best Backup/Transition to X

1. MaxxVE

MaxxVE Well-Known Member

So as many of us are probably coming from either the droid, incredible, or some other android device I was wondering what apps you plan on using to make the transition easy.

Personally I'll be switching from an Incredible and I've started the search for good free or paid backup apps.

So far I've found Lookout which is a security and backup app but I'm not convinced.

Please share any apps that you've used and how well they've worked.

Thanks!

Advertisement
    :
  2. jreed2560

jreed2560 Well-Known Member

appbrain, astro file manager, mybackup, pencil and paper.....
  3. aeronauticsrock

aeronauticsrock Active Member

Fresh. Start. :)
  4. MaxxVE

MaxxVE Well-Known Member

Haha... I know google does contacts. I was just wondering about apps. Apparently android is a lot easier to backup then the days of Windows Mobile.
  5. jreed2560

jreed2560 Well-Known Member

Oh for sure. I'm almost positive that if your going from one android phone to another that most of your apps (at the very least your paid apps) will still be in the market under downloads as long as you use the same gmail account to set them up.

I guess I automatically assumed you would be going from one android phone to another. Never even accured to me to ask what you will backing up from.
  6. MaxxVE

MaxxVE Well-Known Member

I am going from one Android phone to another.. but it's my first switch.

When I used to have Windows mobile it was a big hassle to find the right program and get the right data backed up. From what it sounds like the android experience is much better. I'm definitely looking forward to getting the X.
  7. JustJosh4

JustJosh4 Well-Known Member

I'm coming from a dumbphone (LG Dare) to the X. This will have backup assistant right? I don't want to have to pay to get my contacts switched.
  8. ylexot

ylexot Well-Known Member

I think Verizon will do that for free.
  9. JustJosh4

Even if I pre-order it online?
  10. wintersg3

wintersg3 Well-Known Member

Yes just take both of your phones into a Verizon store when the new one comes and they will do it for free.
  11. JustJosh4

Great, thanks. Anything else that I should know moving from a Dare to a Droid? I heard I have to have a Gmail account for the phone. I have one through my University, but would it be wise to start a second account for my phone seeing as when I graduate it might be taken away?
  12. tnstra

tnstra Well-Known Member

We have done 2 or 3 hard resets and have gotten 1 replacement phone on our Android phones (all Droids). With all things backed up to your Gmail account you get EVERYTHING (Apps Settings Widgets Contacts Etc) back on the existing or replacement phone EXCEPT call logs and text messages
  13. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

How do you back up app settings to the google cloud? I didn't know it was doing that.
  14. Piiman

Piiman Well-Known Member

Last time I got a phone from them they wanted 10.00. Every since they released their backup tool they want us to do it. If you whine a little though they may do it for free.
  15. DKYang

DKYang Well-Known Member

MyBackup Pro for apps and data. Supposedly, MyBackup sometimes miss some apps in the backup process so to be safe; use App Monster for app backup. I did this all the time before I bricked my G1.
  16. BuTbKa

BuTbKa Well-Known Member

Astro has app back up, which I used couple of times. Also, keep i mind that contact switch in the store is free, as long as you go to corporate. Retailers usually charge for it.
  17. pwnst*r

pwnst*r Well-Known Member

Appbrain.

And I'm going from the Evo to the Droid. Don't need another program for apps.
  18. lexluthor

I don't know why appbrain wouldn't get me to 90% of where I was when I switch from Dinc to X.

I use Touchdown for email and it allows me to backup my settings to SDCard, so that should be easy.

I'll have to re-log into many services (i.e. pandora, last.fm, etc), re-log into websites to get my cookies back, but neither of that is a big deal.

I'll probably lose my saved game and high score status, but I don't really care about that.

Do any of these options back up those settings as well?

What about for K9 mail? If I do the backup app in astro, does it just keep the .apk or does it actually keep all of my settings and such?

INFINITELY easier than switching phones than when I had WinMo. Would have taken me half a day's work to switch WinMo phones and get things back to the way they were beforehand.

I'm still curious about the comment someone said up above about saving program settings to the Google cloud. That's not true, is it? If so, how does it work?
  19. Piiman

Piiman Well-Known Member

I thought the cloud backup was coming with 2.2. could be wrong but I seem to have read that somewhere. It sounded real nice as it would do a complete backup and restore to your new phone just like it was your old phone.
  20. lexluthor

Maybe he'll come back and explain what he meant.