• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

best bluetooth earpiece for droid and convertible

boatman

Android Enthusiast
Nov 19, 2009
I have seen a few posts regarding bluetooth earpieces, but wanted to hear if anyone is using one with a droid and a convertible, and if so, what has been your experiences.

Not all bluetooth work well w all phones, and even more so, many are affected by wind noise. So my criteria really limit the choices.

Any real life data is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I've got a convertible and a Jawbone Icon, and it's the best, clearest BT earpiece I've ever used. It filters out the (mostly low-frequency) wind noise, replaces it with the low-frequency vibration from your jaw, adds it to the high frequency voice picked up by two separate microphones and combines them into as clear a signal as possible.

However, all that said, there IS no BT headpiece that works clearly, cleanly in the high winds generated at highway speeds in a convertible with the top down. The windows will need to be rolled up if your top is down - there's no other way, regardless of what available earpiece you use. Even a Plantronics with a boom mike and a foam windscreen is going to have difficulty overcoming 50+ mph winds swirling around the microphone pickup.

I think your best bet is the Icon, but it will still not be perfect. None will be in that scenario.

Upvote 0
Wind is definitely an issue. It's hard to beat the BlueParrott B150 for dealing with noise but you won't appreciate its size.

I have a convertible but I just don't take or place calls at all while driving so that's no help.

Even a Plantronics with a boom mike and a foam windscreen is going to have difficulty overcoming 50+ mph winds swirling around the microphone pickup.
Foam windscreens aren't all that great for dealing with any significant amount of wind. Boom mics used outside are frequently equipped with zeppelin windscreens (not practical for BT headsets) to deal with wind.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones